Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2018, 10:50   #16
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Volvo overheating ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboats View Post
Have an md11c raw water cooled that is new to us. Had water in the oil , replaced a few parts and cured. But the temp gauge isn't working and engine seems to run hot so put an infra red temp gun on the cylinder head and found reading of 230f and 190 on the manifold . No smoke but seems hot or is that normal right at the head ? Also steams a little at higher speeds
The following is written in a friendly tone of voice, with the sole intent to help you.

Answering the following questions may help others help you find a solution.

Please provide some more information.

1. How long have you owned the boat? Did the engine come with the boat or has it recently been added to the boat? I ask because you wrote " New to us."

2. How many hours have you run the engine?

3. Was the boat winterized or in storage?

4. Was the boat recently put in the water? Was it on the hard?

5. has it been sitting in a marina or on mooring? How long if so?

6. Was the engine running good until recently?

7. List any changes or work done on the engine recently.

8. Was the repair work done by a mechanic, or by yourself?

9. Has the boat had a recent bottom paint job? Did you do it?

10. When was the bottom last cleaned? Did you examine the thruhulls?

11. Does your boat have an external engine raw water intake strainer? When was it last examined?
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 11:52   #17

Thanks Steadman. Just bought the boat few weeks ago knowing it had water in the oil. And bottom is fine no new paint ...was on the hard so checked all thru hulls . Worked on the engine myself (15 years working on gas boats) . Replaced one head that was rotted and leaking into compression chamber , did seals in impeller housing , both head gaskets and manifold gaskets. Did o rings in the block .clean and tested cylinders ,heads and manifold for rust and blockages. I've ran it now for a few hours and cleaning up the gauges and wiring . Boat is clean and has 1500 hours. Ps strainer is bypassed telling me P.O. has issues too...all raw water no fresh or heat exchanger
goboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 12:37   #18
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboats View Post
Thanks Steadman. Just bought the boat few weeks ago knowing it had water in the oil. And bottom is fine no new paint ...was on the hard so checked all thru hulls . Worked on the engine myself (15 years working on gas boats) . Replaced one head that was rotted and leaking into compression chamber , did seals in impeller housing , both head gaskets and manifold gaskets. Did o rings in the block .clean and tested cylinders ,heads and manifold for rust and blockages. I've ran it now for a few hours and cleaning up the gauges and wiring . Boat is clean and has 1500 hours. Ps strainer is bypassed telling me P.O. has issues too...all raw water no fresh or heat exchanger
Thanks for answering. The following is in a friendly tone of voice. I mention this because questions are often mistaken as challenges. That is not my intent. I am simply looking for more data to consider.

You have done a lot of work on it.

Since you mention the strainer is bypassed, and you suspect the previous owner had problems, for me that raises a red flag.

Are you using the same hose that the previous owner used? Or did you buy all New hoses?

Are you certain there is no blockage on the raw water input side? Perhaps foreign material, Marine growth, wasp nests or animal if the boat was on hard, or a blockage in a bend in a hose?

Have you checked for adequate free flow of water from outside to water pump? Did you verify this with water through the hose?

Do you intend to run the engine with no raw water sea strainer at all?
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heating, overheating, volvo