Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2020, 16:43   #16

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38
Re: Volvo Md7a - Not getting to temperature

...at the time of my engine install....I thought I was the only guy on the planet with a Volvo MD7 engine...mine was the MD7B engine...only difference from the MD7A was the 7 degree downward sloping gearbox.
..I as not very diesel savvy at the time, in addition to being rather broke, so the MD7B was in my price range, probably the reason I bought it as I could afford it.
..raw water cooled....wtf was I thinking ?..but it went into my boat, where it churned away for around 10 years.

Yep, as stated previously, I had all of the many problems and issues stated here, including getting water into the cylinders. Seized it up solid.

But..without repair manual in hand, I removed the cylinder head, pumped the water out, lubed up the pistons and beat on them with a sledgehammer until they moved.
Then re-assembled everything as best as I could and tightened down the cylinder head bolts in what I thought was an appropriate manner.

In addition, on several occasions during that 10 year period, I removed the cylinder head to ream out the cooling passages and then re-assembled again, always using the same parts, gaskets, etc...in 10 years never placed a new cylinder head gasket or any other gasket on that thing.

Amazingly, it always started right up and ran solid, though at this point it did start smoking some....light blue smoke, but it never seemed to affect the engine.

Let's face it, the engine is an antique....it was back then, and most certainly is now.
Where do you see another marine diesel with a monster flywheel ??

Nah, if I saw that thing in a boat I was going to buy, I'd have two choices. Walk away or re-power.

MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2020, 18:13   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: Volvo Md7a - Not getting to temperature

I have a complete spare in my basement. It looks to be in fair condition. I will use it to canabalize or rebuild. But the one in the boat is running great, now that Iíve given the passages surgery.

hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
volvo