Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2013, 16:47   #1

Boat: Columbia, 8.3 and 8.7 (1977)
Volvo MD7A

Hello All. I am looking to purchase a 29 foot project sailboat powered by this MD7A. The boat is on the hard and has had rain water in it to the visible water line. I don't think the engine was ever totally underwater. The engine is seized to the point that two large men with a breaker bar were unable to turn it. I have the option of removing the engine and bringing it home to try and get it moving and working. Any ideas as to what is involved. I realize parts for this engine are prohibitively expensive. My plan/dream is to get it working well enough to be able to motor sail up the eastern seaboard and up the St Lawrence river to Lake Ontario. Sure would like to here from you guys with some experience in this kind of thing. Please see attachment. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-11-02_13.13.24.jpg
Views:	1436
Size:	433.7 KB
ID:	69983  
weephee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:41   #2

Re: Volvo MD7A

Hello. Is there no one here that can help me with this or give me some advise.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:33   #3

Boat: 1993 Sabre 362 #113

You have an ambitious project. The MD7A is heavier than most diesels its size. So just lifting it out of the boat would be an issue. Otherwise, disconnect everything, fuel line, water lines, electrics, etc.

If this is a seawater cooled engine, its value as scrap iron probably exceeds it value as an engine. The engine may have lots of scale and rust in the cooling passages.

If I was planning the trip you are planning, I would want a very reliable engine, there are a lot of upstream upwind miles from the Atlantic to Lake Ontario.
Dave Lochner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:52   #4

what does the dip stik show? rust? clean oil? It's not out of the question that you might get it going, but you are going to have to disassemble it and check it out. It seems somehow the cylinders must have gotten water in..... probably not worth repairing if that's the case. Is there something else on that engine that might be frozen up? gearing on the front? starter?
You could find a used engine. Check out craigs list etc.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:08   #5

I have a md7a that turns over and ran, it has been in storage unused for 8 years, yours for $500, the parts are worth much more,in Maine
multihuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:25   #6

I have recently spent many hours trying to free a seized up old Volvo. By far the cheapest way to solve your problem, will be to get an identical engine that runs and drop it in. The cost of an engine change goes way up if you have to change mounts,exhaust,coupling, etc,etc. I dont know anything about the engine that the previous poster has for sale, but even with shipping costs you could not rebuild yours for that amount of money. You might be lucky and free yours up, but if it had water in it for any length of time it is probably an organ doner engine. Good Luck. _____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:59   #7

Thanks for the replies. A replacement engine is in the works thanks to multhuler. I can keep the original and play with it just to see how bad things are . Should be some parts I can still use though. Thanks again
Old 17-03-2014, 19:47   #8

Boat: Windward 914

I am pulling an MD7A out of my boat this week. It runs, but has compression issues (needs new rings). Other than that it is okay, just old. Are you still looking?
Greg Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2014, 05:04   #9

Boat: 1972 Aquarius 23'

Has anyone used coca cola to unease a motor? I've herd from a few old motor heads pouring the cola into the cylinders have unseezed a motor sitting outside.

I've never confirmed nor had a rusted up motor to tinker with but heard it from a few older folk.

wondering around with no destionation
Wonderinlost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2014, 09:56   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Y View Post
I am pulling an MD7A out of my boat this week. It runs, but has compression issues (needs new rings). Other than that it is okay, just old. Are you still looking?
I have a running MD7A, but am looking for a spare engine, if one is available cheaply enough.

Missed Multihuler above or I would have had that.

But shipping to Pennsylvania may be prohibitive.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2014, 20:33   #11

Boat: Windward 914

Sorry, already sold it on the Classified section.
Greg Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 10:29   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
I have a running MD7A, but am looking for a spare engine, if one is available cheaply enough.

Missed Multihuler above or I would have had that.

But shipping to Pennsylvania may be prohibitive.
Are you still looking for an MD7A? I have one pulled from my Morris 30 last year, when I changed out to a Beta 20. Still working fine. Also a spare I bought for parts, but never needed. In Southwest Harbor Maine.
Stonewalljxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 10:42   #13

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Also, you might try doing a custom search here for MD7A. There was someone else not long ago who pulled one out that was working to switch to an outboard, and he had another for parts. I'll see if I can find him. Maybe he's on that thread about "pros and Cons of outboard for bluewater" or something like that.
BTW what kind of boat are you looking at? Perhaps it would qualify for an outboard refit. There are only a few really that do well with an outboard, but it might be an option.
Here is link to thread about pulling MD7A out. go to page 9 of "Pro/Con of outboard for blue water cruising"
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 11:06   #14

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Here it is:http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-160639-9.html
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:33   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonewalljxn View Post
Are you still looking for an MD7A? I have one pulled from my Morris 30 last year, when I changed out to a Beta 20. Still working fine. Also a spare I bought for parts, but never needed. In Southwest Harbor Maine.
Wow, thanks. I bought one for parts last year. No place to keep yet another or I would take you up on it.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
volvo