Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2021, 09:55   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: UK
Boat: Westerly Oceanlord
Posts: 23
Volvo MD2040 Gearbox Fail

Our Volvo MD2040 gearbox has failed and we are desperately looking for a new one.

Should we fail to find one, I assume we would have to look at a total engine replacement.

I would welcome thoughts and advice, or if anyone has had a similar quandary?

Many thanks in advance
Kennavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 19:11   #2
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: W Carib
Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Posts: 12,803
Re: Volvo MD2040 Gearbox Fail

Im not following the reasoning behind going from a gearbox repair/replace to a full repower?

To my knowledge these gear boxes and parts for them are still avaible. They show up as avaible on MarinePartsExpress so why not just repair it? Marine diesel gear boxes are relatively simple.

What kind of failure did it have?
belizesailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 19:28   #3
Marine Service Provider
 
Emmalina's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Thailand
Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50
Posts: 799
Re: Volvo MD2040 Gearbox Fail

What exactly does fail mean ? Obviously something has broken but be a bit more specific ! I had a VP gearbox "fail" when the spline on the shaft rusted/striped. I was told new gearbox but took it to a machine shop and got it converted to hex drive and made a plate for the flywheel !. Better than original in the end.
__________________
Steve .. It was the last one that did this !
Emmalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 03:36   #4
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: UK
Boat: Westerly Oceanlord
Posts: 23
Re: Volvo MD2040 Gearbox Fail

The bung had popped out of gearbox and the oil was in the bilge. No idea how long it had been like that and it is now seized
Kennavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 03:38   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: UK
Boat: Westerly Oceanlord
Posts: 23
Re: Volvo MD2040 Gearbox Fail

BelizeSailor,

Im struggling to find a 3:1 replacement MS2AD in the UK - a few 2:1 on eBay which will impact performance and require a new prop.

Do you know if I can just use a MS2AE as a direct replacement? Or will I need to customise my MD2040?

Appreciate your guidance...

Many thanks in advance!
Kennavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 04:48   #6
Marine Service Provider
 
Emmalina's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Thailand
Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50
Posts: 799
Re: Volvo MD2040 Gearbox Fail

If its just the bearings seized then it should be recoverable .
__________________
Steve .. It was the last one that did this !
Emmalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 13:15   #7
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: W Carib
Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Posts: 12,803
Re: Volvo MD2040 Gearbox Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennavin View Post
BelizeSailor,

Im struggling to find a 3:1 replacement MS2AD in the UK - a few 2:1 on eBay which will impact performance and require a new prop.

Do you know if I can just use a MS2AE as a direct replacement? Or will I need to customise my MD2040?

Appreciate your guidance...

Many thanks in advance!
I dont know for sure on the compatiblity, but have you cracked it open yet to see what actually failed?
belizesailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 16:18   #8
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 546
Re: Volvo MD2040 Gearbox Fail

1) The gearbox has to be removed or worse, the complete engine. I know which one I would rather be doing.
2) It sounds to me that the gearbox is able to be repaired. Seizure is normally restricted to bearing damage, so is usually simple to fix.
3) to replace the entire engine/gearbox entails not only much time, but much effort, and much money. Usually, half the other stuff in the engine space needs re jigging or replacement.

Make contact with a marine transmission company. They will give you good advice; particularly how to remove the gearbox i.e. the correct sequence and how to manage the weight of the box in the engine room. It is standard stuff for these companies and they can usually quote for removal, repair and re-installation.

When you say the oil bung "popped" out just what could have possibly caused this? These bungs usually have soft copper washers tapered threads etc. A "popped" bung sounds a bit weird to me. If the gearbox is hydraulic then often the internal pressure is often around 130 psi i.e. leaks will show up quickly. So how long after the last oil change did this problem arise?
If the box is hydraulic, then maybe adding a gauge to the oil cooling line could be useful.
If the gearbox is overhauled, it should come back with new clutch plates, seals etc. Damper plates can be checked etc. The gearbox is not the item you want to fail when things get adventurous such as motoring off a lee shore or entering a marina berth.
billgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 16:30   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: W Carib
Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Posts: 12,803
Re: Volvo MD2040 Gearbox Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennavin View Post
The bung had popped out of gearbox and the oil was in the bilge. No idea how long it had been like that and it is now seized
I bet its just a bearing.

And pulling the gear box off a MD2040 is not hard. You will want a helper though.

Is there a shop near you who could just pull it and evaluate it for you?

Be a shame to waste serious $s on a new gearbox/engine instead of just making a simple bearing replacement.
belizesailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 15:31   #10
Marine Service Provider
 
Emmalina's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Thailand
Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50
Posts: 799
Re: Volvo MD2040 Gearbox Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgewater View Post
1) The gearbox has to be removed or worse, the complete engine. I know which one I would rather be doing.
2) It sounds to me that the gearbox is able to be repaired. Seizure is normally restricted to bearing damage, so is usually simple to fix.
3) to replace the entire engine/gearbox entails not only much time, but much effort, and much money. Usually, half the other stuff in the engine space needs re jigging or replacement.

Make contact with a marine transmission company. They will give you good advice; particularly how to remove the gearbox i.e. the correct sequence and how to manage the weight of the box in the engine room. It is standard stuff for these companies and they can usually quote for removal, repair and re-installation.

When you say the oil bung "popped" out just what could have possibly caused this? These bungs usually have soft copper washers tapered threads etc. A "popped" bung sounds a bit weird to me. If the gearbox is hydraulic then often the internal pressure is often around 130 psi i.e. leaks will show up quickly. So how long after the last oil change did this problem arise?
If the box is hydraulic, then maybe adding a gauge to the oil cooling line could be useful.
If the gearbox is overhauled, it should come back with new clutch plates, seals etc. Damper plates can be checked etc. The gearbox is not the item you want to fail when things get adventurous such as motoring off a lee shore or entering a marina berth.
Its not hydraulic !
__________________
Steve .. It was the last one that did this !
Emmalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 00:10   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: UK
Boat: Westerly Oceanlord
Posts: 23
Re: Volvo MD2040 Gearbox Fail

The boat is new to us. There was a pool of oil under the engine in the bilge and as we were cleaning it out we found the bung in the dirty oil. My thought is that the previous owner, or previous service did not put the bung back in with the copper washer...

And this is how it started
Kennavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 00:18   #12
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: UK
Boat: Westerly Oceanlord
Posts: 23
Re: Volvo MD2040 Gearbox Fail

So I had someone look at the gearbox and the cones are damaged. The gearbox was a MS2AD ratio 3:1.

All of the secondhand MS2ADs that Ive found are 2:1 which means a prop replacement.

I did find out that there is very little difference between the MS2AD and MS2AE. The "E" was the follow-on model to the D. The difference was that the E model had shot peened gear wheels for a bit more strength, and the E used heavy gear oil instead of engine oil. It will be a direct fit as it same bolt holes etc

I managed to find a MS2AE with a 3:1 ration on eBay for 450 so I will be replacing my old gearbox this weekend. And I will be ensuring the bung has a copper washer!!

Thank you all for your help and messages! Very kind!

I hope you all have a lovely weekend...
Kennavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
engine, gear, gearbox, Md2040, volvo

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Want To Buy: Volvo MD2040 engine and/or gearbox Kennavin General Classifieds (no boats) 0 08-06-2021 09:48
Oil for MS 15LA gearbox /Volvo-Penta MD2040 YARGESOL Engines and Propulsion Systems 2 15-08-2019 19:03
Impeller / Sea Water Pump Problem in Volvo MD2040 hoaga Engines and Propulsion Systems 6 08-08-2011 13:59
Fuel Filter - Volvo Penta MD2040 landonshaw Engines and Propulsion Systems 5 20-02-2011 12:38
Volvo MD2040 Glow Plugs neelie Engines and Propulsion Systems 2 22-01-2010 04:19

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:44.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.