Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2011, 18:48   #1

Boat: Island Trader Ketch 37
Volvo MD17C - Oil Change

I have got to change the oil in this boat over the weekend- I am doing it for a my mate. Any tricks of the trade - good suggestions - sound advice for getting this done quickly and cleanly? The engine is a Volvo MD17C -
Thanks in advance-
Pirate lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 19:05   #2

Boat: Panda 40 - S/V Cambria
Re: Volvo MD17C - Oil change

These or similiar are pretty good at getting oil out and not taking up much space:

Wholesale Automotive oil pumping device pumping oil pipeline oil change device changing the water pump device

Don't know what your oil filter is, but these or similar are useful:

Amazon.com: OTC 6903 2.3L Oil Filter Wrench Socket for Ford/Mazda: Automotive

Michael
svcambria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 19:10   #3

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
I have this same engine but haven't done a change yet. Get a gizmo like mentioned above. I was told to only use a Volvo filter from the P/O but I don't know that to be accurate. He cited engine issues but I don't have details beyond that. That is the easiest way I'm aware of. SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 19:32   #4

Re: Volvo MD17C - Oil Change

SV- do you thing the oil pump is necessary? it does have a drain plug. can I get an oil pan under the plug? from the question- you can tell i have not been in the engine compartment- sorry for the stupid questions- but i will be travelling a long way to complete this task and I want to take as much as possible to minimize my running around. I really do appreciate all of the tips.

Sailcruiser- I hope NAPA can match the filter- I am trying to find the filter size now. None of the tech manuals i have found indicate the size of the filter. the boat is at a marina and they may have it- more than likely not.

Once the oil is changed, I hope to hook up the elctrical, water, check the exhaust and crank the engine- the boat is "hard" - dry docked. she needs some love. travelling 300 miles to get to her. So- doing as much research on this as possible before I travel.
Old 20-09-2011, 20:04   #5

do you have the size or type or model of the filter? NAPA may be able to cross it.
I was hoping to find a chart - like the ones in the auto parts store to match the filter, but no such luck.- Thanks Ron
Old 20-09-2011, 20:31   #6

Boat: Panda 40 - S/V Cambria

As it is a sailboat, there is a 99.44% chance that you cannot get to the oil drain plug.
The marina is equally unlikely to have an oil filter.
Once upon a time I had a Volvo MD21B that could use a Quaker State filter, so there are alternatives. You will probably have to start with the old filter and take it to shops for sizing to get a replacement.

Michael
svcambria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 21:04   #7

Thanks Michael- I found out that someone at the marina has oil pump I can borrow. One thing down-
Now to find the filter and get some oil- oh boy!
Old 20-09-2011, 21:37   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate lady
Thanks Michael- I found out that someone at the marina has oil pump I can borrow. One thing down-
Now to find the filter and get some oil- oh boy!
Ok some details I dug up. It appears to want 5 qts of oil Rotella recommended. The aftermarket part ill be Fram I THINK. The Volvo part number for an oil filter is 834337. I happen to be doing maintenance at midnight. :-). Hope this helps! SC
Old 20-09-2011, 21:46   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcruiser

Ok some details I dug up. It appears to want 5 qts of oil Rotella recommended. The aftermarket part ill be Fram I THINK. The Volvo part number for an oil filter is 834337. I happen to be doing maintenance at midnight. :-). Hope this helps! SC
And to quote myself at this late hour it appears a fleet guard part is LF3826. Please please cross reference and double check me. That is the correct Volvo # since I have it in my hand. Hope this helps and time to head home. SC
Old 21-09-2011, 06:19   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

MD17 Workshop Manual: http://www.bluemoment.com/manuals/Vo...1C_D_17C_D.pdf

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2011, 15:37   #11

Boat: a sailing boat

Warm the engine up a bit - makes pumping the old oil out much easier.

Get something better than the smallest manual pump.

If the oil looks very dark, flush the engine before filling.

Replace the filter unless you are darn sure you do not have to.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2011, 19:48   #12
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat

If you are going to run it on the hard, make sure the yard will allow it.....some don't some do.
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 16:21   #13

Thanks to all for the input. The engine has sat idle for a while - we were able to roll the fly wheel-that was a good sign. With the help of new friends at the marina, we pumped the oil out. It was thick sludge. We poured in diesel and tried to see if the engine would even turn with the battery (jumped). It did not. Long - short: battery is very dead, starter was pulled ,checked- it is good, the alternator was pulled and checked- it has passed. And with that process of elimination, wiring was " improvised" thru the years and needs to be corrected. Again, thanks to all and I hope to see and meet more of you- as my mate and I work to get this craft back in the water - where she belongs.
Old 11-08-2014, 11:45   #14

Volvo MD17C or MD11C - Oil Change

The owner's manual that came with my md17c includes the md11c. The transmission and engine use the same specification oil. 20W motor oil for a diesel(CD) above 50 degrees F. 10W for colder than that. The town I live in is marine/industrial/DIY oriented and even so, no store is selling either of those anymore. For some reason, Volvo did not want 30W in the engine or trans. To match that as well as possible, i have 5W-20 in the trans. I would use 10W-20 if it was commonly available. It is not diesel type oil but the trans is not subject to the harsh chemicals in the engine that makes the special motor oil necessary. When i worked on hydraulics in a shipyard the conventional wisdom was that 10W engine oil is a better lubricant than 10W hydraulic fluid or ATF. The closest oil for the engine i can find is 10W-30.
keta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2015, 15:40   #15

Thought I'd add my 2 bits as I'm changing oil for the 1st time and this thread came up high in my online search. The oil filter part number for Volvo is 834337 as stated above. I found a marine parts dealer, Falmouth Yacht Brokers, with a page specifying the filter for the MD17C engine (as well as many others).
Apparently there is a newer Volvo Penta part number, 22057107. I'm going to get one at an auto parts store, assume they can cross-reference it but if they cant, this page seems to do a good job of that.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil change, volvo