Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2017, 02:52   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Volvo incompetence

OEM or fabricate. I had a massive complex stainless steel exhaust elbow fabricated for under $300, by a top marine fabrication shop in Cowes.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 04:12   #17

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
OEM or fabricate. I had a massive complex stainless steel exhaust elbow fabricated for under $300, by a top marine fabrication shop in Cowes.
+1. Volvo makes nothing on their engines, not even the engines, they just spray it green and jack up the price. I did the same for my exhaust elbows, Volvo wanted stoopid $s for their cast ones. I had SS fabbed for about $200.

I replaced a starter a few years ago. Volvo want $850! I found the manufacturers markings on the starter. It was a standard Mitsubishi automotive starter. Bought it at an autoparts store for $85!

They also of course closely guard the OEM info, but you can find it on the net or here on CF.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 04:20   #18

Also not the first time Volvo pricing has been discussed here. See the thread below:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=139769
Old 10-12-2017, 05:10   #19

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

While I'm with both of you on alternatively sourcing, making or having made parts to circumvent Volvo's 'predatory pricing', if I read the original post correctly, the part required is the exhaust volute on the turbo, shown to the left in the picture below. Kinda hard to have the local boys fab that one up, but it can likely be sourced from IHI, who makes it (or distributes it for, who knows in this globalized world) for ISM/Shibaru (if my information is accurate). The turbo itself is a model RHF4, p/n VB420081 or similar...and is used on all kinds of engines from Cat to Volvo. If cost is a big issue, I'd be looking for a used one from a industrial/ag yard or turbo remanufacturer...

jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 07:57   #20

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

uh...I mean, shown to the right...
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:25   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
While I'm with both of you on alternatively sourcing, making or having made parts to circumvent Volvo's 'predatory pricing', if I read the original post correctly, the part required is the exhaust volute on the turbo, shown to the left in the picture below. Kinda hard to have the local boys fab that one up, but it can likely be sourced from IHI, who makes it (or distributes it for, who knows in this globalized world) for ISM/Shibaru (if my information is accurate). The turbo itself is a model RHF4, p/n VB420081 or similar...and is used on all kinds of engines from Cat to Volvo. If cost is a big issue, I'd be looking for a used one from a industrial/ag yard or turbo remanufacturer...

True, would not want to try and fab a turbo in a Central American machine shop, but the suggestion was OEM 'or' fab. I expect one direct from IHI is considerably cheaper.
Old 10-12-2017, 13:38   #22

Boat: Whitby 42

I called a few turbo shops about getting just the turbine housing and they all said they can't get parts for that turbo just the complete unit. I am still sure I should be able to. I may just have to get it from Singapore. I would like to have it as a spare as it's fine other wise but I don't have time now as I am trying to get back moving as quick as possible.
mikeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 15:10   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal Cruising 46 - SATORI

THAT IS WHY WE CALL THEM THE "Green Grief". They are not allowed in my shop unless I need a mooring anchor.
oldcal46skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 15:19   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikFinn View Post
I do not remember hearing (or reading) much good about Volvo boat engines, I think mostly related to spare part prices and yes the prices are piracy on the high seas, it is no secret.
I like the way I can pop into the local Volvo dealer unannounced and pick up a spare part for my 30 year old engine knowing he has it on the shelf. Try that with a Ford motor car.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 15:41   #25

No Volvo dealers to pop into in many cruising venues, but the price is the same + shipping + duties...and the higher the price, the higher the duties. OEM or fabricating saves a lot of bucks...esp if you can buy/fab locally.

My little MD2020s have been good engines, but the parts pricing is outrageous.
Old 16-12-2017, 05:47   #26

Boat: Whitby 42

Pop in to get the parts, not quite. Called the dealer he told me he could not find out if another dealer had them on the shelf. He Had to order them from Volvo to him then ship them to me. Twice the shipping, twice the time very convenient. Cost for 4 gaskets and shipping 150 dollars. Shipping cost 45 dollars.
mikeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2017, 07:05   #27

Hey guys,
Sorry to hear about your engine troubles. If you are ever in the situation of considering to re-power give an electric motor some consideration. I converted my C&C 29 four years ago and have never had a single maintenance task of any sort to do. I have lost zero downtime do to engine issues. I turn on the key, engage the throttle and off I go. It's not for everyone but I'm never going back.
Chiquita1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2017, 07:56   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiquita1 View Post
Hey guys,
Sorry to hear about your engine troubles. If you are ever in the situation of considering to re-power give an electric motor some consideration. I converted my C&C 29 four years ago and have never had a single maintenance task of any sort to do. I have lost zero downtime do to engine issues. I turn on the key, engage the throttle and off I go. It's not for everyone but I'm never going back.
Whats your range under power?

How do you charge your engine battery banks?
Old 16-12-2017, 09:15   #29

Boat: 1969 Rhodes 28'

Note to self: Never buy a boat with a Volvo engine.
TreblePlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2017, 09:29   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreblePlink View Post
Note to self: Never buy a boat with a Volvo engine.
depends on the boat and the engine .

Tags
enc, volvo