Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2021, 01:36   #1

Boat: Lightwave 38
Volvo Heat exchange Problem

I have a Volvo MD2020D that is being rebuilt(x2). Awesome.. But there is always a but. One Heat exchange housing has corrosion to the point of replacement can not repair. Simple you say order one, there are plenty of suppliers out there right.. No one can supply, Volvo is not making any. Order one with a deposit (some have asked for total amount with no refund if I cancel the order: If an order is placed the supplier then classes it as VOR - Vehicle off road, this then prioritize the order. No time frame can be given?? Obviously there is no demand for this part??
So where do we go from here. Welding with the possibility of the housing cracking.
We are a yacht in transit presently in Pangkor Malaysia and likely to be here for some time.
If anyone has a heat exchange housing for the MD2020D or an alternative I would greatly appreciate hearing from you.
ClarkeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2021, 13:22   #2

Boat: Lagoon 400
Re: Volvo Heat exchange Problem

Redbackradiators.com.au

Give them a call, they can probably fabricate a better than OEM one for you, at a better price too. Have a good reputation on the marine service side as diecon marine.
OldGreyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2021, 18:44   #3

Parts4engines.com
In the UK for Volvo & Perkins.
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2021, 22:51   #4

Boat: Lightwave 38

Parts 4 engines I have tried along with a very long list of others.
Now approaching Redback Radiators Brisbane.
Thanks keep the suggestions coming, appreciate it.
ClarkeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2021, 08:33   #5

Doug R has put you well on the way by recommending an agent that is both V/P & Perkins ,, These MD engines also come badged as Perkins Perama & 99% of parts are the same & more realistically priced .
Paul Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2021, 08:49   #6

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

In the States there's Sen-Dure. Get an off engine mounted one as it eliminates most vibration issues. I had an engine mount sen-dure unit crack after two years, remote mounted one still fine after now 20 years.

https://sen-dureproducts.com/Sen-DureCatalog.pdf
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2021, 08:55   #7

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

Also, check out offerings from Lenco:
https://lencoheatexchangers.com/
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2021, 12:35   #8

Boat: Catana 471

Might also give these guys a call or email: https://www.shipwrecksalvage.net

I don't see a MD2020D exchanger listed right now, but they may have an engine they can pull one off of for you. I've bought from them in the past and was satisfied with the part and the service.
Jetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2021, 12:38   #9

Boat: Catana 471

Or here: https://www.shipoutletstore.com/en/h...a-3581925.html Expensive, but says they have it in stock.
Jetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2021, 13:40   #10

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Not sure if people here recommending changing to a remote mount realize it or not, but it ain't that simple. The heat exchanger on this engine incorporates both the exhaust manifold and the thermostat housing; to switch to a remote mount both a water cooled manifold and a thermostat housing would also have to be fabricated.

Though I guess, depending on where the leak is, the old manifold/housing could be used if the heat exchanger openings where blocked off...

The HE/manifold on the MD2020D is the same as that on the Perkins M20. There are very many engines out there, almost certainly there is a used up one somewhere in southeast Asia with a good hsg just waiting to be found. Might only take a bit of asking around.

TAD in Virginia shows a listing for the housing, maybe you'll get lucky there.

They list the Perkins p/n as 135606270, their number is M20B.

tadinc@earthlink.net

The real question is what happened to yours? Salt water shouldn't come into contact with the cast iron of the housing; if it has there is/was likely a problem with either the sealing of the rubber boots, or the water side of the exhaust elbow is clogged, or both.

Worth a look there to make sure all is kosher.
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2021, 14:13   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

everything possible repair. Heat exchanger is expensive. this is my last repair, i spend 400-gram aluminum,

more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2021, 14:41   #12

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Completely different heat exchanger, plus it's made of cast iron, and could be internally corroded.

There are some things that can't be repaired, but I'm with you if you say 'almost everything can be repaired'...
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2021, 16:09   #13

Boat: Bavaria 38 Cruiser, 12meters, 2004

more, I had the identical problem on my Bav 38 with the D2-55 heat exchanger. The photos you show could have been my very own. Obviously a design issue. I was fortunate, it was just before Christmas, all the fabricators busy, wanted to charge from $600NZ up and to wait until after Christmas to do the job. I took a gamble and got word of a young man who's brother was willing to do it as a "homie" (apparently he was experienced in alloy welding. The repair came out just as you showed. He had to retap some of the threads and I had to file out a slightly larger hole on the new exhaust elbow as it didn't quite locate on the face as it used to. Weld job was done on the evening he got the exchanger from me, I got it back the next day and it cost $150. So far, very pleased with it.
Kerry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 02:04   #14
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
Completely different heat exchanger, plus it's made of cast iron, and could be internally corroded.

There are some things that can't be repaired, but I'm with you if you say 'almost everything can be repaired'...
What's the problem Cast iron easy repair with brass bronze.
you have 2 option
A/heat in oven part, later weld with brass, use welding blanket and slow cool down 24 hours to room temperature.
b/make missing part with steel, heat in oven part and missing part and fill with brass, use welding blanket and slow cool down 24 hours to room temperature.

look
https://youtu.be/K85MH9Z5FPU

Not possible repair is only airplane jet engine rotor blade on cold and hot side, this is forbiden by law and to risky
Old 28-02-2021, 02:17   #15
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry1 View Post
He had to retap some of the threads and I had to file out a slightly larger hole on the new exhaust elbow as it didn't quite locate on the face as it used to. Weld job was done on the evening he got the exchanger from me, I got it back the next day and it cost $150. So far, very pleased with it.
i always use the original 2313M359 Perkins Stud , a very specific steel
this parts is not my , on my boat. this be an engine of customer. before owner repair with epoxy and sale boat 5-6000€ under market price.but also epoxy repair last 2-3 year

uppercase

Tags
volvo