Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2021, 08:11   #16

Boat: Morgan Classic 33
Re: Volvo Heat exchange Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by more View Post
What's the problem Cast iron easy repair with brass bronze.
you have 2 option
A/heat in oven part, later weld with brass, use welding blanket and slow cool down 24 hours to room temperature.
b/make missing part with steel, heat in oven part and missing part and fill with brass, use welding blanket and slow cool down 24 hours to room temperature.

look
https://youtu.be/K85MH9Z5FPU

Not possible repair is only airplane jet engine rotor blade on cold and hot side, this is forbiden by law and to risky
And you know how and where their housing is corroded how, exactly?

Again, many, maybe even most, things are repairable, but assuming something is or isn't based on no information, or worse on one's own assumptions, is nonsense.

I'm aware of several different methods of repairing cast iron, and am sure there are others of which I'm not aware, but there is no indication that the OP's original complaint about his HE, "One Heat exchange housing has corrosion to the point of replacement can not repair" is amenable to any of them.

For instance, in your example, how would you repair a perforation of the middle exhaust tract on the inside of the manifold? Would you split the thing and then weld it back together after you patched the hole?

And there are twice as many such areas on the HE/manifold in question...

Sometimes the cost/benefit ratio of repairing versus replacement in weighted more heavily toward replacement.

Leaving aside the problems asociated with welding/brazing salt-infused metal, which your aluminum manifold probably wasn't and the OP's cast iron HE tank/manifold probably is...
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 18:13   #17

Boat: Lightwave 38

The HE is at a local foundry to try and repair it. Will keep all posted.
ClarkeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 18:48   #18

I considered using epoxy to repair, another boat we sailed with had no choice but to use it and worked fine. He has since replaced the housing.
The Ship outlet store has one but the price is prohibitive. For $3250 plus the rebuild I am better off replacing it with a new 30hp engine.
Old 01-03-2021, 01:19   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: bavaria 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeB View Post
The HE is at a local foundry to try and repair it. Will keep all posted.
Good, i wish you luck and happy repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeB View Post
I considered using epoxy to repair, another boat we sailed with had no choice but to use it and worked fine. He has since replaced the housing.
The Ship outlet store has one but the price is prohibitive. For $3250 plus the rebuild, I am better off replacing it with a new 30hp engine.
also, you can try Permatex Cold Weld, but usually, if you can use cold-weld you can hot weld. Again i say most important in hot weld cast iron is 24 hours slow cooling to room temperature. also is funy how is heat exchanger expensive almost you can bay entire engine with heat exchanger for new heat exchanger.
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 04:22   #20

Success, the Foundry has completed the repair, have just pressure tested the Housing all AOK. Cost Rm420 or Aus $120. I am one happy chappy. My starboard engine is ready to test run in the w/shop. Things are starting move along nicely....hope so.
Thanks for all the support and information. Happy sailing all, our turn is coming.

Tags
volvo