Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2020, 17:38   #1

Boat: Dufour 412 (41 ft)
Volvo engine data interface

We’ve got a new Volvo penta d2-50 and would like to have easy access to more engine information. I have a ray marine axiom display. I’m considering either the ray marine ECI-100 engine interface or the Volvo easy connect. Anyone have experience with either that could help us make an informed decision?
Ddunmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 18:27   #2

Boat: Amel Super Maramu, 53'
Re: Volvo engine data interface

Volvo easy connect would be my choice. It is seamless in getting you nmea2000 access.

I have not used the raymarine product. However, all industrial/marine engine manufacturers are protecting their ECM access/data. This has been a terrible impact on farmers being able to maintain their own equipment. Note a law was just passed in Mass “Right to repair” addressing this issue.

My point, if you want to use the Ray product, check how they are accessing the data from the ECM. Did they get a license from Volvo (normal practice)? Or, are they breaking access?
E185640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 07:38   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddunmire View Post
We’ve got a new Volvo penta d2-50 and would like to have easy access to more engine information. I have a ray marine axiom display. I’m considering either the ray marine ECI-100 engine interface or the Volvo easy connect. Anyone have experience with either that could help us make an informed decision?
I would double check what engine data is actually available on that engine. On the D1 series you can only get RPM and temp through the nmea200 interface, but I'm not sure if the D2 series gets you more.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 19:27   #4

Boat: Shopping...

New Volvo Penta engines now come with an ECM (Electronic control module) connected to Volvo EVC (Electronic Vessel Control)
All engine data run thru EVC.
You can connect VP Bluetooth gateway converter directly into EVC.
Part # 23194818
You will also need cable # 23197513
Old 10-12-2020, 21:50   #5

Boat: Dufour 412 (41 ft)

Thanks
Ddunmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 23:07   #6

Boat: Hanse 430e

https://www.yachtd.com/products/engine_gateway.html

Look at this.
Dogscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 00:24   #7

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Helia 44 - Hull #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrob View Post
I would double check what engine data is actually available on that engine. On the D1 series you can only get RPM and temp through the nmea200 interface, but I'm not sure if the D2 series gets you more.

On my D2 with the yacht devices interface I get temp, rpm, voltage, hours. No oil pressure. I have heard you can change the sensor to get oil pressure but I haven’t researched that. It also provides alarms on the network like low voltage and engine shutting down. I don’t know if low pressure or high temp alarms are broadcasted as well.
AllenRbrts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, volvo