Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2007, 02:33   #16

Boat: Lotus 10.6
Geeze. they are 100000000000s more here.

Guy next to me put in a new Yanmar recently. He said the boot needs replacing every 1 or 2 years according to the manual. Bugger that. You have to take the whole motor and saildrive out to do it and apparently the new boot is pretty bloody expensive.

He says he is going to do it as he is worried about his insurance if he doesnt.

The reason that he went for Yanmar was the double skin. It is a joke though. The second skin is bugger all and is secured by a large hose clip. I doubt it would keep the sea out for more than 5 seconds.

The volvo boot is that thick and solid I wouldn't worry. I reckon they should say it needs checking every 7 years...not replacing.

My old yanmar boot was original when I took the old 20 year old motor out. They last.
seafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2007, 04:46   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj
I knew I remembered this from the forum:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tion-1666.html

Looks like Yanmar's service interval is 100hrs for oil change and 2 years for the rubber boot.

This service interval is far more frequent than Volvo's and if that rubber boot costs as much, it is going to be far more expensive.

Mark
THe above post is incorect for this thread. I request the OP to modify or remove it.

Reasons:
THe SD20 is not fitted to the engines the thread poster requested information on.

This will cause incorrect information to be perpetuated.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2007, 05:56   #18

On to the maintainance parts.
THe 3JH is fitted with an SD50 saildrive if requested. A new boot for it has an MSRP of $240.46 USD
The D2-40 is fitted with the 130S-B saildrive if requested. A new boot for it has an MSRP of $352.86
Now, there is a caviat to this. Yanmars price is just for the boot. Volvo's is fo a boot kit. THere are a few extra o-rings and a fairing boot with the Volvo kit.
Old 22-08-2007, 09:34   #19

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Quote:
Originally Posted by never monday
THe above post is incorect for this thread. I request the OP to modify or remove it.

Reasons:
THe SD20 is not fitted to the engines the thread poster requested information on.

Pat,

More than happy to do this. Like I mentioned in my other posts, I defer to your better knowledge on this.

Problem is, I can't figure out how to delete or modify it. When I post, I seem to have that ability for a short time, but it seems that letting a few hours go by removes the ability. Maybe it's because I am on a different computer right now? Will one of the mod's delete it for me?

To further Pat's point, my service interval and parts information for the Volvo saildrive was for the 120S model. This may or may not be fitted on the engine the poster asked about also.

One point of mine is still valid - most of the service parts and consumables for both models are inexpensive and you need to compare the recommended service intervals between models before concluding on costs.

Mark
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2007, 09:34   #20

Quote:

Reasons:

Pat,

More than happy to do this. Like I mentioned in my other posts, I defer to your better knowledge on this.

Problem is, I can't figure out how to delete or modify it. When I post, I seem to have that ability for a short time, but it seems that letting a few hours go by removes the ability. Maybe it's because I am on a different computer right now? Will one of the mod's delete it for me?

To further Pat's point, my service interval and parts information for the Volvo saildrive was for the 120S model. This may or may not be fitted on the engine the poster asked about also.

One point of mine is still valid - most of the service parts and consumables for both models are inexpensive and you need to compare the recommended service intervals between models before concluding on costs.

Mark
Old 22-08-2007, 09:36   #21

See? I now have the ability to edit/delete the above post, but not earlier ones. Also, I don't know why sometimes I get double posts and sometimes I don't.

I think I should stop posting...
Old 22-08-2007, 09:43   #22

Quote:
On to the maintainance parts.
THe 3JH is fitted with an SD50 saildrive if requested. A new boot for it has an MSRP of $240.46 USD
The D2-40 is fitted with the 130S-B saildrive if requested. A new boot for it has an MSRP of $352.86
Now, there is a caviat to this. Yanmars price is just for the boot. Volvo's is fo a boot kit. THere are a few extra o-rings and a fairing boot with the Volvo kit.
Pat,
What about recommended service intervals? Any difference in the boot change is magnified by the fact that the drive has to be pulled up and the yard time could be a bit.

Also, for a multihull, can both drives be setup for counter-rotating props?

Mark
Old 22-08-2007, 13:40   #23

Boat: Lotus 10.6
there is definitely a big difference in service intervals between Volvo and Yanmar for the boot on my D1-30 and my neighbours 29hp Yanmar. Like 2 years Yanmar opposed to 7 years for the Volvo.

Maybe it was a typo in the owners manual
seafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2007, 17:23   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj
Pat,
What about recommended service intervals? Any difference in the boot change is magnified by the fact that the drive has to be pulled up and the yard time could be a bit.

Also, for a multihull, can both drives be setup for counter-rotating props?

Mark
Mark, it wasn't a attack. I just wnated the right stuff out there.

I'll have to dig for the service intervals. I don't remember them off of the top of my head.
Yes they can be set up counter rotating.
Any saildrive will need to have the boat hauled out to change a boot. That is unless you have 3000GPM pump handy.
Old 22-08-2007, 19:07   #25

Quote:
Mark, it wasn't a attack. I just wnated the right stuff out there.
No worries, never saw it as an attack. I would still like the post deleted, but I don't seem to have the ability anymore.

Quote:
Any saildrive will need to have the boat hauled out to change a boot. That is unless you have 3000GPM pump handy.
That was my point - one will have to haul the boat regardless of the brand of saildrive, so the service interval magnifies the cost over time. I'm not even sure a 3000GPM pump would do it - that's a massive hole!

Mark
Old 22-08-2007, 20:29   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Not a moderator but in wild ass guess mode.

You have the ability ot change/delete a post for a while in order to correct spelling or if you change your mind.

After a while the ability goes away becuase it would be very confusing for a poster to delete a bunch of his/her previous posts that have been responded to. The threads would stop making sense.

I assume that's how the board software works.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2007, 07:07   #27

I can't find the Volvo service schedule.

Yanmar states a standard service life of 2 years.
Now, they also state that the standard value (criteria) for replacement is hair line cracks.

Take it for what you will.....dems da facts from the book
Old 23-08-2007, 17:24   #28

Boat: Leopard 40 catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to c.spots
Not quite answering the question, but do you really want the extra weight, cost, and probably fuel consumption of a 40 HP engine (X2) - especially on a 40 ft. cat?

Life shouldn't be a race to the finish line - enjoy the journey.
c.spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2007, 21:09   #29

Boat: samson c-mist 32
I went with the D2-40 because I have a good, trustworthy dealer. My local Yanmar dealer stuck me with an $8000. bill to rebuild a 30 year old YSE12G after the previous owner sank it, we obviously went to court. I don't have a sail drive but other considerations for me would have been 4 cylinder vs 3. 4 is usualy a more balanced engine meaning less vibration. I didn't get a quote for the new yanmar, but I'm betting it would have been more. I have yet to install my'n, but I'm sure they are both good engines.
emeraldsea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
volvo, yanmar