Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2021, 08:10   #1

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40
Volvo D1-30 (2014) and saildrive 130 with 6000h, when overhaul and costs?

Hi Mahe and other Volvo D1-30 owners,

about to purchase (precontracted) a 2014 Mahe 36 evolution with wooping 6000h on both engines Volvo D1-30 and saildrives:
When do you have to overhaul them, how much does it cost? Access is easy so this doesn't add a lot labour to pull them out&in. Sure its different due to location but a ballpark number whould be really helpfull to calculate the total deal.
thank you.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 04:12   #2

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II
Re: Volvo D1-30 (2014) and saildrive 130 with 6000h, when overhaul and costs?

Depends on your plans. If the engines and saildrives are in good condition, i.e. no smoke, easy starting, saildrives not corroded and no mechanical faults, they should go on a few more years, particularly if you are not planning a major trip to remote areas. I am guessing it's an ex charter boat to get those hours, so the machinery will have been worked hard and regularly, and provided they have been maintained regularly and properly, they should be good for more life.
If you have doubts, then the issue is whether to refurb or replace. I would guess judging by the price of VP spare parts and the cost of labour, a major refurb of the drivetrain would cost more than buying 2 new and as you say the labour for replacement would be far less. There will be a market for the old engines/saildrives as well. Unless you replace everything, you will still have potential issues with things you have not replaced wearing out.

We purchased a FP Athena in charter that had 6000+ hours on the 2 yanmar GM20/SD20s. They were running well and we got a couple more years charter before we replaced them with Yanmar 3YM20/SD20s ready for when we left charter. The cost in 2012 was 22000Euros inc labour in Croatia.
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 07:11   #3

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40
Re: Volvo D1-30 (2014) and saildrive 130 with 6000h, when overhaul and costs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapanui View Post
Depends on your plans. If the engines and saildrives are in good condition, i.e. no smoke, easy starting, saildrives not corroded and no mechanical faults, they should go on a few more years, particularly if you are not planning a major trip to remote areas. I am guessing it's an ex charter boat to get those hours, so the machinery will have been worked hard and regularly, and provided they have been maintained regularly and properly, they should be good for more life.
If you have doubts, then the issue is whether to refurb or replace. I would guess judging by the price of VP spare parts and the cost of labour, a major refurb of the drivetrain would cost more than buying 2 new and as you say the labour for replacement would be far less. There will be a market for the old engines/saildrives as well. Unless you replace everything, you will still have potential issues with things you have not replaced wearing out.

We purchased a FP Athena in charter that had 6000+ hours on the 2 yanmar GM20/SD20s. They were running well and we got a couple more years charter before we replaced them with Yanmar 3YM20/SD20s ready for when we left charter. The cost in 2012 was 22000Euros inc labour in Croatia.

yes ex-charter DYC Guadelopue and the 6000 hours on the d1-30 in a Mahe a big part comes from recharging batteries (due to fridges/freezer)&insufficent solar (BB engine) and making hot water in idle (STB engine)...
well you/surveyor can check out the engines condition quite well: compression diagram, oil analyses, camera into cylinders, function test and visual inspection, especially of the marinaized parts like heat exchanger and exhaust elbows (which I would change to stainless steel one anyhow). So I will get quite a good picture of the actual condition.
(I calculate the deal with a rebuild as worst case scenario...)

Given an ok condition I just try to figure out whats a resonable time span/additional hours I can get out of them before a rebuild. 8000/10000? and what a rebuild of a D1-30 costs, 3000Euro just the rebuild ok?

D1-30 engine is from perkins,so you get a lot parts cheaper for a rebuild. Corrosion issues like heat exchanger internals are age related (not so much the hours) and they are only 6 years old so shouldn't be bad and a rebuild is definitly the way to go if its time to do.

if new I would go for Kubato 30 or 40hp, much cheaper new and parts + avaliable worldwide in remotest locations.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
overhaul, sail, saildrive, volvo