Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2021, 23:24   #1

Boat: Westsail 32
Vetus M4.14 has no anode...

While familiarizing myself with the Vetus M4.14 on my new-to-me Westsail 32, I was dumbfounded that I could not find any anode, or mention of any anode in the manual. It appears that in fact, there is no anode, which blows my mind for a marine conversion.

Notably, the engine was installed in 1987, and seems in pretty good shape for its age, and considering the journeys it has made (probably ~3000 hours), so it's not exactly clear to me how the engine has been spared severe corrosion after all this time.

Should I make an attempt to add an anode to the raw water loop somewhere?
Ryban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2021, 08:10   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Vetus M4.14 has no anode...

If it ain’t broke…….

Our engine has an anode fitted and it’s been the sole source of heat exchanger clogging for the last 2k hours. Once I run out of anodes I’m done changing them.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2021, 17:06   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

The salt water system has several different metals in contact with the water. When I run into an engine w/o a zinc, I add a tee so I can add a zinc. Or I drill and tap some part of the salt water system. Sometimes having a white powder or crystals at a connections means no zinc or sections of the salt water path are not bonded. All metals in a salt water cooling system need a metal to metal contact or a bonding wire. The white can show up anywhere, not just a connection of 2 dissimilar metals.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2021, 12:06   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
The salt water system has several different metals in contact with the water. When I run into an engine w/o a zinc, I add a tee so I can add a zinc. Or I drill and tap some part of the salt water system. Sometimes having a white powder or crystals at a connections means no zinc or sections of the salt water path are not bonded. All metals in a salt water cooling system need a metal to metal contact or a bonding wire. The white can show up anywhere, not just a connection of 2 dissimilar metals.

Whilst I'm no corrosion engineer what Lepke said sounds logical to me.
I'd follow his advice.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote