Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2024, 11:02   #1

Vetus m310: Very strange - lots of water leaks from air intake !

I do de-winterizing of Vetus m310 preparing my Rustler 31 for a launch.
Boat is on the hard of the boatyard. To run engine I use continuous flow of fresh water from a hose submerged in the bucket full of water that in turn is continuously supplied with water from boatyard water system. Bucket is located in cockpit above the engine.
I did oil + oil pump change before running it second time that I did after oil change.
After both runs I found about 2 liters of water in the bilges that were cleaned before runs.
During second run I was trying to locate where the leak is, but water was not coming into bilges. I stopped the engine to cool it for 10 minutes then to check oil level and went for a several minutes away from the engine. Getting back to the engine I started hearing a sound of water running as if from a tab into bilges, a big flow of water.
I found that water runs from a plastic box of air intake connected near to a metal area near cylinders. It flowed from an intake hole in the lower part of the plastic box for about 5 minutes, which amounted to about 2 liters of water and about 1/4 of a cup of old black oil in the bilges. After that water continued dripping all along the line where plastic box 'floor' connects to the metal.
Need to say that every engine run I had normal exhaust at the stern that worked well, no smoke at all.
I will try to attach pictures, but connection is very poor here in the boatyard.
Your ideas about what may be the reason of this mysterious flow of water are vey welcome! Thanks!
dokondr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2024, 14:22   #2

Re: Vetus m310: Very strange - lots of water leaks from air intake !

Putting the supply to the raw water pump in the cockpit effectively simulates sinking the boat to that level ( as far as the engine is concerned) and the seawater system fed by the bucket becomes a pressurized system that now ignores the function of the vent loop. The raw water pump impeller end and tip clearance at the cam easily allows water to pass and make its way DOWN to the exhaust mixer and into the engine via whichever exhaust valves are open and any intake valves that are on overlap. You have considerable work ahead of you to deal with this engine flooding and for future reference the bucket of water should be on the cabin sole at or below the height of the raw water pump. There’s nothing “mysterious” about that water running out of the air intake.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2024, 14:30   #3

Plastic black box with air intake that water flows out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20240520_182224.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	430.9 KB
ID:	290093   Click image for larger version

Name:	20240520_182216.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	433.5 KB
ID:	290094  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20240520_182206.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	419.7 KB
ID:	290096  
Old 20-05-2024, 14:47   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperpete View Post
Putting the supply to the raw water pump in the cockpit effectively simulates sinking the boat to that level ( as far as the engine is concerned) and the seawater system fed by the bucket becomes a pressurized system that now ignores the function of the vent loop. The raw water pump impeller end and tip clearance at the cam easily allows water to pass and make its way DOWN to the exhaust mixer and into the engine via whichever exhaust valves are open and any intake valves that are on overlap. You have considerable work ahead of you to deal with this engine flooding and for future reference the bucket of water should be on the cabin sole at or below the height of the raw water pump. There’s nothing “mysterious” about that water running out of the air intake.
Many thanks for your answer! I did this test several times in previous years and nothing like this water flow happened before.

You write: "You have considerable work ahead of you to deal with this engine flooding" What works exactly should be done to get engine back to normal work after such flooding?

Thanks!
Old 20-05-2024, 17:49   #5

I’m guessing the water made it to the sumpso that needs to be pumped out and I think you’ll be doing a couple of oil changes. The injectors need to be removed and the water extracted either by manually rotating the engine with a wrench on the front pulley or blowing it out with compressed air. Under no circumstance use the electric start until the engine is dried out and has clean oil in the sump. Also drain the aqualock/waterlift, its bound to be completely filled too.
Just a final tip, don’t try taking out the glow plugs to dry out the cylinders unless they’ve been recently replaced, breaking one of those suckers off in the head is a whole seperate ordeal that could involve taking the head off.
Old 21-05-2024, 07:01   #6

Another problem came out: I found that antifreeze in heat exchanger turned into a bulbs of brown pulp. I drained it and washed it 10 times with clean water until liquid coming out of it became light brown.
It looks like oil got inside internal cooling circuit.
How to remedy this?
Old 21-05-2024, 07:46   #7

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Was the boat stored in freezing conditions?
Did you fill the raw water system with RV non toxic antifreeze before storage?
Cheers/Len
Old 21-05-2024, 10:07   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
Was the boat stored in freezing conditions?
Did you fill the raw water system with RV non toxic antifreeze before storage?
Cheers/Len
The boat was stored in Greece, Ionian. No antifreeze was added filling water system.
Old 21-05-2024, 10:15   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dokondr View Post
Another problem came out: I found that antifreeze in heat exchanger turned into a bulbs of brown pulp. I drained it and washed it 10 times with clean water until liquid coming out of it became light brown.
How to remedy this?
Further development of this. After draining oil sump and heat exchanger, I filled heat exchanger with clean water. After two hours 3-4 liters of a antifreeze accumulated in the oil sump.
Old 21-05-2024, 10:28   #10

Boat: 44' Custom Aluminum Cutter, & Pearson 30

I hate to say this but you might have a blown head gasket at the least. At the worst a crack in the head or block. I had a farm tractor with a cracked head it ran fine but had water going in the oil.
NorthCoastJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2024, 14:40   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dokondr View Post
How to remedy this?
“Blobs of brown pulp” doesn’t necessarily equate to oil in the coolant circuit, it could just be gelled coolant which happens from time to time if antifreeze types are mixed. Set aside your concerns about this and focus on getting the engine dried out and running. I think you need professional help after reading your most recent post re coolant in the oil pan.
Old 22-05-2024, 02:37   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperpete View Post
“Blobs of brown pulp” doesn’t necessarily equate to oil in the coolant circuit, it could just be gelled coolant which happens from time to time if antifreeze types are mixed. Set aside your concerns about this and focus on getting the engine dried out and running. I think you need professional help after reading your most recent post re coolant in the oil pan.
Drained oil SMELLS with antifreeze.

Tags
leaks, water