Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2012, 10:10   #1

Boat: DIX PILOT HOUSE 38
Vetus 417 engine 42 horse

My Vetus engine has 120 hr and started overheating.When i removed the sea water impellar i found one finger broken and stress stains on the rest.
Has anyone else had a similar fault? iam worried it may happen agian.Thanks Luke
G.LUKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2012, 10:47   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Re: Vetus 417 engine 42 horse

I have no experience of your engine, but in general the most common reson for an impeller failing early is running dry.
Other common causes are an incorrect impeller, and scored or damaged face plate or pump body.
Make sure you find the broken bit of the impeller, to ensure its not clogging up the cooling system.
I would change the impeller more frequently. This should be done every 12 months or 100 hours of running, but impellers are cheap compared to rebuilding engines, so more often would be sensible till you find the cause of the problem.

Check there is adequate water from the exhaust at all angles of heel. The water pump should feel cool.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2012, 17:18   #3

Re: Vetus 417 engine 42 horse

Pull the front of off your heat exchanger. That is where broken off vanes end up, and can cause restrictions in cooling water flow. If previous owners have replaced impellors without finding the broken off vanes you could have a real collection of them, and could cause cooling problems even with a new impellor. I learned the hard way.____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine