Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2018, 05:32   #1

Boat: Kaufman 47
Variprop & Maxprop Easy: Experiences

Hello all,

I'm about to get a feathering prop and have requested info from just about all of the manufacturers of feathering props. I have settled on two, the Variprop and the Maxprop Easy. Most of the posts or threads regarding this are fairly old so I'm looking for more experience or updates to existing ones. I'm wondering if anyone had any experience with either or both?

The prices are similar for both for me. I have a ZF 63iv v-drive hydraulic gear so I'm not sure if the soft stop in the Variprop would be easier on the gear when shifting over the Maxprop or not. They can both be adjusted anytime anywhere. I like how robust the Variprop is but I also like how much more simple the new Maxprop Easy is inside (it would be a cinch to teardown, clean, and regrease). Variprop says there's is user serviceable too for those mechanically inclined but you shouldn't need any service, minus yearly greasing, for 10-12 years. Both have great service (PYI and AB Marine). Maxprop is the oldest of the feathering props though the Variprop is I believe the 2nd. So basically it's a toss up.

I appreciate any information you can offer!
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2020, 11:18   #2

Boat: Shannon Pilothouse 38
Re: Variprop & Maxprop Easy: Experiences

Hey it looks like you didn't get any response here, but I'm going through the exact same process now myself. Can I ask what prop you ended up getting and do you think it was the right choice? Thanks!
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2020, 11:34   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailRedemption View Post
Hello all,

I'm about to get a feathering prop and have requested info from just about all of the manufacturers of feathering props. I have settled on two, the Variprop and the Maxprop Easy. Most of the posts or threads regarding this are fairly old so I'm looking for more experience or updates to existing ones. I'm wondering if anyone had any experience with either or both?

The prices are similar for both for me. I have a ZF 63iv v-drive hydraulic gear so I'm not sure if the soft stop in the Variprop would be easier on the gear when shifting over the Maxprop or not. They can both be adjusted anytime anywhere. I like how robust the Variprop is but I also like how much more simple the new Maxprop Easy is inside (it would be a cinch to teardown, clean, and regrease). Variprop says there's is user serviceable too for those mechanically inclined but you shouldn't need any service, minus yearly greasing, for 10-12 years. Both have great service (PYI and AB Marine). Maxprop is the oldest of the feathering props though the Variprop is I believe the 2nd. So basically it's a toss up.

I have used max props for 40 years

They are the industry standard

Never a problem, very powerful reverse thrust

I don’t know the new Easy Max

Max has a competitor , can’t remember it’s name

I see it at all the boat shows

They have modified the Max design flaw ,fixed its defect

The max defect is that it blows grease

To function correctly the max must be completely packed with grease

This new max competitor uses O rings to reduce grease blow out
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2020, 13:10   #4

Boat: Shannon Pilothouse 38

Like OP, I think I've got it narrowed down to the MaxProp and the Variprop. They are very similar. According to AB Marine, the Variprop is 10-15% more efficient than the MaxProp because it has curved blades. He also says it is more well made and will last longer. MaxProp is extremely well reviewed and tried and true, and I think a bit cheaper. I'm not sure it's worth the price difference, but 10% more efficient is a big difference.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2020, 14:13   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailRedemption View Post
Hello all,

I’m not sure what soft stop means

With a max prop the shift from forward to reverse
.... hub stop to stop ... is cushioned by hydraulic “ Grease “ pressure

The grease is swept from one chamber to the other threw a small perhaps 5 mm hole

This prevents CLONK Shock in the system and prevents wear , rounding off of the stops

This is why a max must be completely packed with grease

As the max ages it blows this grease and becomes dry

No more hydraulic stop

If the competition prop or the new easy mac holds grease longer it would be a big improvement
slug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc