Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2017, 12:13   #1

Boat: Sceptre 41
Vaccuum Guage

Completely non boat related. Sorry. But I seem to get the best answers to motor questions here. My son just bought a Subaru WRX. It is a tight engine compartment. A real PITA to work on. There is a problem with the engine so I am running a vaccuum test on it. I plugged into the brake booster and at 3000' elevation I am getting 17hmg. Adjusting for altitude that is 20 hmg. All good. I run a snap throttle test and it climbs up to 24 hmg but doesn't drop like I am accustomed to. I have tried two different gauges and both react the same. Is this a problem? Next test would be to do a leak down test but I have to take apart a fair bit of car to get to the spark plugs.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 12:54   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Vaccuum Guage

I don’t understand what your asking.
Are you saying at idle you get good vacuum, but if you punch the accelerator and let it return to idle, the same vacuum isn’t measured?

WRX is a turbo isn’t it?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 13:25   #3

Re: Vaccuum Guage

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I don’t understand what your asking.
Are you saying at idle you get good vacuum, but if you punch the accelerator and let it return to idle, the same vacuum isn’t measured?

WRX is a turbo isn’t it?
Yes WRX is a turbo.

When you snap the throttle the vacuum should decrease dramatically. The butter fly valve opens increasing the size of the passage between the intake manifold and the engine. Then with more fuel the vacuum increases above standard. Then with the throttle back to idle the gauge should drop back to the original reading. In my case neither the drop at the opening of the throttle nor the drop after the engine settles back to idle are occuring.

After explaing this I wonder if there is a check valve inbetween the intake and the brake booster. That would explain no drop in vacuum, right?

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Old 28-12-2017, 14:23   #4

NASIOC Rex forum has access to info from street to track, you will need to identify your son's car more accurately ie. GC8, spec C, EJ 20 STI ete.
shakey doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 14:46   #5

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Completely non boat related. Sorry. But I seem to get the best answers to motor questions here. My son just bought a Subaru WRX. It is a tight engine compartment. A real PITA to work on. There is a problem with the engine so I am running a vaccuum test on it. I plugged into the brake booster and at 3000' elevation I am getting 17hmg. Adjusting for altitude that is 20 hmg. All good. I run a snap throttle test and it climbs up to 24 hmg but doesn't drop like I am accustomed to. I have tried two different gauges and both react the same. Is this a problem? Next test would be to do a leak down test but I have to take apart a fair bit of car to get to the spark plugs.
A vacuum test will not indicate engine condition. A compression test or leak down test will.

If you"re looking for a vacuum or induction leak then you try pulling diagnostic codes (mostly useless or find it the old fashioned way.

Has the vehicle been modified? Perhaps by someone who shouldn't touch things?

Where are you measuring?
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 14:49   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

The is usually a check valve before brakes or any sensor or other item needing constant vacuum.
Old vacuum wipers stopping when accelerating was fixed by adding a air tight can and a check valve between the wipers and engine.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 14:51   #7
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Completely non boat related. Sorry. But I seem to get the best answers to motor questions here. My son just bought a Subaru WRX. It is a tight engine compartment. A real PITA to work on. There is a problem with the engine so I am running a vaccuum test on it. ........
It might be helpful to know the actual symptoms of the problem.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 17:53   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Vaccuum Guage

Quote:

After explaing this I wonder if there is a check valve inbetween the intake and the brake booster. That would explain no drop in vacuum, right?

Every vehicle I have ever had that used vacuum to provide brake assist had a check valve, you can “prove” it easily.
With the engine off, pump the brake pedal, after a couple of pumps you can definitely feel the brake assist go away.
Being a turbo is another clue to having a check valve, cause under boost that vacuum booster can’t do much.
In fact a turbo vehicle that uses vacuum to do things like position air handler doors etc., will usually have a significant sized accumulator and a check valve of course.
I had a friend years ago that had an old deuce coupe with a Pontiac 389 Tri power in it, when you floored it, vacuum would go to nothing and the windshield wipers would come to a dead stop. Back off of the throttle going fast and they would go so fast it seemed they would tear up.
Vacuum windshield wipers of course.
Old 28-12-2017, 20:46   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakey doug View Post
NASIOC Rex forum has access to info from street to track, you will need to identify your son's car more accurately ie. GC8, spec C, EJ 20 STI ete.
Thanks I will try that website.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftbrainstuff View Post
A vacuum test will not indicate engine condition. A compression test or leak down test
I agree that a leakdown test is more accurate. OTOH a vacuum test is an old school way og getting a quick idea of the condition of the valves, vacuum leaks, broken lifter springs, rings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
The is usually a check valve before brakes or any sensor or other item needing constant vacuum.
Old vacuum wipers stopping when accelerating was fixed by adding a air tight can and a check valve between the wipers and engine.
Thanks this is the kind of information that I was curious about.

There was a check valve. I moved the vacuum gauge to the other side of ghe hose and it worked correctly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
It might be helpful to know the actual symptoms of the problem.
Hesitates on rapid accelration. Throws a lean code.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Every vehicle I have ever had that used vacuum to provide brake assist had a check valve, you can “prove” it easily.
With the engine off, pump the brake pedal, after a couple of pumps you can definitely feel the brake assist go away.
Being a turbo is another clue to having a check valve, cause under boost that vacuum booster can’t do much.
In fact a turbo vehicle that uses vacuum to do things like position air handler doors etc., will usually have a significant sized accumulator and a check valve of course.
I had a friend years ago that had an old deuce coupe with a Pontiac 389 Tri power in it, when you floored it, vacuum would go to nothing and the windshield wipers would come to a dead stop. Back off of the throttle going fast and they would go so fast it seemed they would tear up.
Vacuum windshield wipers of course.
I believe that the vacuum is all used for engine performance on this engine.

I have ordered a smoke machine to locate the vacuum leaks. The vacuum hoses are brittle, non elastic, so I think I will replace all of them. Will be quite a chore. Makes doing bilge yoga look like a treat.

Thanks for all the help.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 30-12-2017, 11:16   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

It it goes lean during high fuel delivery, start with a fuel filter and or other things that may restrict fuel flow.