Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2012, 02:18   #31

Re: Unleaded Petrol put in Diesel Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearcey View Post
Any cleaning tips?
I converted to electric propulsion five years ago and so no longer had need of the on board diesel fuel tank. I drained and cleaned it with plans to convert it to a fresh water wash down tank. You might find a few tips here:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: REMOVING DIESEL FROM THE FUEL TANK
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: IN THE TANK: Part One, Scene of the grime!
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: IN THE TANK: Part 2, Steaming Ahead!
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: TOOLS OF A SAILOR: INSPECTION CAMERA
Old 27-12-2012, 04:45   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Don't waste the tank of fuel, pump out say 80%, keep aside, refill tank with diesel, use 10% then top up with the fuel put aside and so on
Keep in mind that gasoline has a shelf life of only about six months while diesel has a shelf life of a few years. I have no idea what the shelf life of a mixture would be, so I would not keep it much longer than six months.
mcarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2012, 05:37   #33

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
I sincerely hope it's not one of the new generation of Jetta TDIs from 2009 on, as this practice is quite likely to destroy the high pressure fuel pump. VW have taken to testing the fuel on cars that suffer fuel pump failures, and if any gasoline is present in the diesel, they will not cover the repair - which costs $8000 to $10,000.

The problem is that the lubricity spec. of ultra low sulphur diesel in the US is only just high enough to lubricate the new generation of very high pressure fuel pumps, and ANY gasoline present reduces the lubricity below the acceptable level.
No Worries in my case. I have a 2000 Jetta Diesel with 216,000 miles. runs like new.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2012, 09:20   #34
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Gary-
"New diesel fuel suc@s big time. If it ain't broke don't fix it."
That is the precise problem, the entire diesel "system" was broken and needs to be fixed. Traditional diesel engines and diesel fuel dump a lot of particulates in the exhaust, enough so that the US basically banned diesel cars for 20? years because the particulates do cause enough health problems (beginning with asthma) so that we can say the "ain't broke" system was and is killing people. Slowly and painfully killing people.
The EU was ignoring this. Supposedly the newer fuels will burn cleaner, and the new diesel technologies (using a urea tank for after-burning the exhaust) are clean enough to make both the EU and US happier.
And those of us who can always smell the diesel stink from a running diesel, will gladly tell you that traditional diesel engines run dirty, no matter how you slice it. Anything that stinks and makes people nauseous during normal operation, ain't "ain't broke".
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2012, 09:41   #35

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Gary-
"New diesel fuel suc@s big time. If it ain't broke don't fix it."
That is the precise problem, the entire diesel "system" was broken and needs to be fixed. Traditional diesel engines and diesel fuel dump a lot of particulates in the exhaust, enough so that the US basically banned diesel cars for 20? years because the particulates do cause enough health problems (beginning with asthma) so that we can say the "ain't broke" system was and is killing people. Slowly and painfully killing people.
The EU was ignoring this. Supposedly the newer fuels will burn cleaner, and the new diesel technologies (using a urea tank for after-burning the exhaust) are clean enough to make both the EU and US happier.
And those of us who can always smell the diesel stink from a running diesel, will gladly tell you that traditional diesel engines run dirty, no matter how you slice it. Anything that stinks and makes people nauseous during normal operation, ain't "ain't broke".
Pretty much every invention from the industrial revolution forward kills people. Never the less, the planet has 7 billion racing to 8, so the pollution does not seem to derail us.
Old 27-12-2012, 09:46   #36
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"Pretty much every invention from the industrial revolution forward kills people."
So perhaps we should all become Bhuddists? "Life is suffering, then you die."

And ignore all the problems because suffering is normal, death is normal, and...no, wait, I'm confused, why then do Bhuddists bother feeding the poor and priests if that only prolongs their suffering?
Old 27-12-2012, 11:00   #37

Boat: Newport 28 II
If the gas concentration is high it will eat up all the seals in the fuel system. It happened to me.
tommyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2012, 11:02   #38

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

I would use one of the vacuum engine oil removal pumps to remove the petrol. The other option is siphon.
No electricity and therefore less chance of a spark and associated boom.
Attached Images

noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2012, 13:09   #39

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
So perhaps we should all become Bhuddists? "Life is suffering, then you die."
Perhaps you shouldn't quote what you know nothing about?
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2012, 13:12   #40
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

As if you were hiding in the bushes and heard my conversation with the Bhudda himself? Or perhaps, philosophy is no longer open to interpretation and variation?
Old 27-12-2012, 13:32   #41

Boat: hunter 376

Hmmm.. from gasoline in a diesel tank to philosophical debate on eastern religion?
How do you spell "Thread Drift?"
As already posted, remove all the gasoline from the tank, using either a gasoline rated electric pump, or a hand pump, add a gallon or so of fresh diesel, then remove the diesel, which will have mixed with the residual gasoline still in your tank, and THEN fill with fresh diesel. If you use an electric pump, (Fillrite, Gasboy) you can pump the single gallon of diesel into the tank with enough force to "stir up" some sediment and/or water, and clean your tank some, while getting rid of the gas. Good luck.
shorebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2012, 12:20   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwa View Post
Simple solution here Pearcy.

Find some wayward kiwi sailor whose on holiday and get him to help you with the tank.

Seeyatamora
60 litres removed with jiggle syphon, cleaned up residue on bottom of tank...fixed earthing problem - all with the help of a wayward kiwi sailor on holidays - thanks kiwa! Ready to go sailing!
Pearcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2012, 14:28   #43

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Good on ya, Pearcey... I believe if you had a small residual of gas (petrol) in the tank and it was properly mixed with your diesel, you wouldn't do much damage. I say this from experience driving Kenworths in the NWT one winter where we never shut down our rig. If we did, a sure fire (excuse the pun) way to get her going if we didn't have any ether was to mix in a shot of gasoline into the diesel tank, mix it up with a stick through the filler hole and hit the starter. There were probably a few accidents but we either didn't here about them across the bar or they didn't happen. With the newer diesels, it might be problematic with seal deterioration and such but with the old bangers there wasn't much to worry about. Sure don't miss the -30 below days! Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel