Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2018, 08:44   #1

Boat: Tartan 40
Universal m40 engine life expectancy

I am considering buying a freshwater mid-1980's Tartan 40' in very good condition. It is powered by a Universal M40 diesel with 5300 hours on it. How long can I expect it to last? How should I have the engine inspected to determine its condition? What might an overhaul or a replacement engine cost?
djhsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2018, 19:00   #2

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Re: Universal m40 engine life expectancy

Apparently the Universal Engine is made by Westerbeke?

Maybe there's some useful information in this link?

Useful Life of Universal Diesel Engines? - Ericson Yachts
EricsonYachts.org: The Starting Point on Ericson Yachts! › ... › General Ericson ForumsMaintenance & Mechanical
Dec 27, 2009 - I am about to tear half my Universal engine apart to replace a $6 .... Oil consumption will be your first indicator of the need for a major overhaul.
Universal 5432 & M40 engine information 27 Jul. 2011
Engine Replacement vs. Rebuild 1 Jun. 2007
More results from EricsonYachts.org: The Starting Point on Ericson Yachts!

Clive
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2018, 06:54   #3

Boat: Valiant 40
Universal m40 engine life expectancy

Life expectancy is largely a function of how it has been maintained and how it’s been run and there is no real way for you to tell that short of availability of a maintenance log and a conversation with the previous owner.

I have a mid-eighties Universal M50 with slightly fewer hours. I expect it to last a good long time, with proper care. It has good compression, starts instantly, and burns maybe half a quart of oil every 100 hours of operation. It would not be unreasonable to get 10k hours or more out of it.

Universal used to be an independent company before it was bought by Westerbeke. They use Kabota tractor engine blocks and are pretty robust. Non-marinized parts are available at Napa.

If your really concerned I would get an engine survey done. If it comes back good you have some peace of mind as well as suggestions about minor issues that might need attention. If it comes back bad you can decide if it’s a show stopper.

Some of the marinized parts are getting expensive and/or difficult to find. An engine survey should be read with that in mind. As a freshwater boat that should be less of a potential issue.

Replacement would run you $15,000 (new motor and labor) and up, dependent on how difficult removal and installation is on that particular boat and how all the related gear (exhaust, wires, fuel hoses, etc) are.
Old 15-10-2018, 18:13   #4

Boat: Taswell 49 Cutter

M40 is a great, very heavy, Kabota engine. It's main bearing caps are 6 bolt type, with cross-bolts, like a 427 Ford FE. In facts, cross-bolting the 427 for Daytona use was lifted from a Ford engineer in a Tractor seminar around 1965. Back to the M40, take good care of the heat exchanger. Also, it holds over 10 quarts of oil, so is a super duty engine, only thing that would hold it back would be a compromised cooling system. Had two different ones in two Ericson 38s.
Ericson38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2018, 18:28   #5

It's KUBOTA in case you're doing a search.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2018, 22:24   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Engine inspection should include a compression test & oil pressure check if it doesn't have a gauge at the bare minimum. Those 2 things can tell part of the story. Good if the mechanic who does the test is familiar with those engines. 10,000 hrs is a ballpark figure for a diesel that has regular maintenance before it needs a rebuild but I have no knowledge of that particular engine. Kubota has a good reputation overall
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine