Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2020, 14:46   #1

Universal m25xp diesel engine swap advice

Hi,
I am new the forum and have a 1985 Catalina 30 sailboat with a universal m25xp diesel engine. Current engine apparently has internal failure according to the previous owner and needs to be pulled and rebuilt. I have access to another same model used running engine for approximately the same cost as a rebuild.
Struggling to find diesel mechanics in my area (Half moon bay near San Francisco). I have pulled and worked on car engines so know basics.
Am I foolish to attempt an engine swap? Not finding much information about the procedure? I understand pulling the engine & using the boom to swing out the old motor and swing in the new motor. Major questions about engine alignment with old mounts and prop shaft, careful with seacocks, etc. but not shy to get my hands dirty.
Thanks.
Whatmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 15:01   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft
Re: Universal m25xp diesel engine swap advice

Welcome to the forum,
If you can do car engines you can do boat engines.
There are videos on youtube to help you or google engine alignment. I imagine there are a lot of people on this forum who know those engines as well. I believe they are kubota based so tractor places should have cheaper parts.
Make sure the runner you are buying is not very close to needing a rebuild though. I.e. does it start easy from cold, not smoke & can stand an hour run at WOT without overheating.
Surprised you cant find a diesel mechanic at half moon bay
Here is a link to info
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...nt-225936.html

You can use the search to find more threads on that motor.
Hope that helps
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 15:10   #3

Thanks for the helpful answer. I am actually in USA near San Francisco. But funnily enough an expat kiwi that went to Auckland University sailed a ton on the waitemata harbor.
A professional has been through the replacement engine and says it has low hours. I will hook it up and run it first before installing.
Old 03-08-2020, 15:22   #4

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Unless the replacement had a known history and a long warranty I’d rather spend the money on a proper rebuild of what I have.....if it was deemed worth rebuilding of course.
Orion Jim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 15:27   #5

Unfotunately from what I can gather the rebuild will take time and cost similar to this engine. I plan to rebuild it myself and learn from the broken engine and have a spare engine ready to go. Well that is the dream.
Old 03-08-2020, 15:29   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatmot View Post
Thanks for the helpful answer. I am actually in USA near San Francisco. But funnily enough an expat kiwi that went to Auckland University sailed a ton on the waitemata harbor.
A professional has been through the replacement engine and says it has low hours. I will hook it up and run it first before installing.
No I knew which 1/2 moon bay you meant as I've lived in SF & been to your bay
Good part of the world at this time of year.
Not a bad plan to rebuild the spare engine at your leisure.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 16:03   #7

Boat: Columbia 36

Last year I did kind of the same to the thing, replaced the old 5411 with a used Kubota D850 tractor engine which is the same as the Universal M25. water pump">Raw water pump, bell housing, mounts all the same as the 5411. All I had to source was the water cooled exhaust manifold / heat exchanger which I got from the same supplier Beta uses for their engines. Works perfectly. Upgraded from 11HP to 21HP for very little cost.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 10:00   #8

Boat: Cabo Rico 42/Catalina 30

Check out Catalina30SailboatOwners facebook group and do a search on engine replacement. I replaced the motor mounts on my M25XP and it looked like it would be fairly straight forward to remove the engine. While your at it make sure to replace the wiring harness trailer connector if you haven't done it already. See this link.
https://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/...Tx_OBZEogu4Ln4
Cabo Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 10:32   #9

Boat: Downeaster 38, Pearson 30

I have done a few boat engine swaps, and in my past life rebuilt automotive engines as a job. The boat swap will be easier than the cars you have done, the only hard part is getting it in and out of the boat. Send me a PM with a phone number and I can give you some suggestions
NorthCoastJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 12:38   #10

Boat: Beneteau 38 Nordlund 72, Marquess 55, Jenneau 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatmot View Post
Hi,
I am new the forum and have a 1985 Catalina 30 sailboat with a universal m25xp diesel engine. Current engine apparently has internal failure according to the previous owner and needs to be pulled and rebuilt. I have access to another same model used running engine for approximately the same cost as a rebuild.
Struggling to find diesel mechanics in my area (Half moon bay near San Francisco). I have pulled and worked on car engines so know basics.
Am I foolish to attempt an engine swap? Not finding much information about the procedure? I understand pulling the engine & using the boom to swing out the old motor and swing in the new motor. Major questions about engine alignment with old mounts and prop shaft, careful with seacocks, etc. but not shy to get my hands dirty.
Thanks.

Cat 30 Engines are right under the companionway and boom. Not too difficult to lift using the boom.
Valmika is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, engine