Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2016, 12:16   #1

Boat: 1986 Catalina 27
Universal M-18

Hey i recently bought a Catalina 27 sailboat, powered by a universal M-18 diesel engine, with a little over 1000 hours on it. Me and my dad pulled the engine, as the oil pan gasket needed replacement. when we got to going over the engine, we noticed a few things, like rust and parts deteriorating. first of all, the oil pan dipstick was compleatly rotted out, the original 12" by 2" heat exchanger broke in two pieces when we pulled the engine, and she is in need of a new paintjob. Does anyone know where i can get these two parts and the paint cheap? I also heard about people upgrading to either a 16" by 2" or a 13" by 3" heat exchanger. are there any pros or cons to upgrading this part? any other tips or suggestions anyone has about the M-18 would be great!
Sailuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 01:03   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: Universal M-18

Ebay often has someone parting various diesel engines. If you contact the sellers, even if they aren't selling parts for your engine, they may have contacts. Most heat exchangers for the same hp should work. Or a larger one with a valve to restrict flow. Your engine should run at the designed temp, not too cool.
Several marine stores sell after market replacement heat exchangers.
Wire brush the rust and paint with a good spray paint. I usually prime first with a zinc rich primer or cold galvanizing paint.
If I had the engine out, I would replace the rings, bearings, seals and have the valves done. Probably hoses, too.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote