Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2022, 14:51   #1

Boat: Capri 25
Universal diesel surging problem in my sailboat

Hi Everyone! I am new to the forum. I sail out of Marina Del Rey and have a Capri 25, a Lancer 30 and the boat I am writing about, a 1979 Catalina 30. The Capri is for single-handing and the Catalina is more passenger friendly, so I am planning to sell the Lancer.

The Catalina was repowered by a previous owner and I have little info about the replacement motor. From what I can tell it is a Kubota 750 aka Universal M20 It is a 2 cyl. The serial numbers mean nothing to Westerbeke and Kubota. I have no documentation.

It ran fine when I purchased it, but the next day was hard to start and would surge. Since then we have replaced both injectors, the 12 volt fuel pump, the injector pump, various lines, and the fuel filter. Everything has either been replaced or looks very new. The motor surges at all rpm levels.

I ran an external tank to the hose that connects directly to the fuel injection pump, and it still surges.

I am wondering about a governor? I don't have a manual and am having trouble. Anyone have any experience? I am getting desperate!
Thanks
acudavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2022, 22:52   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: Universal diesel surging problem in my sailboat

Probably the governor unless you have loose linkage or cable.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2022, 05:49   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Albin 25 trawler

The Universal M20 was a Z751 Kubota. TRANSLATION - 2 cylinder diesel, about 0.75 liter displacement = 16 horsepower. Made from 1976 to 1982, about 1000 units were built by Universal. Weight is 365 pounds. I have a parts engine here.

Methinks you have a fuel supply problem. First, charge your start battery. Then Get a CLEAN container of fresh fuel, use clear vinyl hose to connect the container to an electric fuel pump [ can be bought at an auto part store] then to the secondary fuel filter on the engine. Now start the pump, and bleed the system according to the manual. Set the fuel control [in the cockpit] to maximum speed, CLOSE THE INTAKE WATER C-COCK, energize the glow plugs for 30 seconds, shift into neutral, and start the engine. Once it starts, immediately open the c-cock and lower the engine speed to 1500 rpm.

If the engine is hard to start, check the glow plugs for resistance using a VOM. Also check that the wire leading to the plugs is actually energized when you are using the glow plugs.

You should be using Shell Rotella 15W 40 engine oil, or equivalent DIESEL GRADE oil. This will assist in easier engine starting, and a better running, longer lasting engine, as compared to a straight weight oil [ such as 30 weight]

I WOULD NOT mess with the governor unless all other possibilities are eliminated first. Joe
Engine man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2022, 06:19   #4

Boat: Columbia 36

Sounds like you covered the usual suspects. Surging is often a clogged filter but apparently not this time. I had a similar problem once and it turned out to be something completely different. The alternator was bad and would cut in and out. Load the engine, unload, load, unload, etc. Sounded just like a clogged filter. I noticed the volt meter was also surging up and down but a little ahead of the engine rpm, the meter would jump up to 14 volts then the engine would slow. Meter dropped to 12 volts, engine would speed up. I disconnected the alt and no more surging. New alternator fixed the problem.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2022, 07:20   #5

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by acudavid View Post
It ran fine when I purchased it, but the next day was hard to start and would surge. Since then we have replaced both injectors, the 12 volt fuel pump, the injector pump, various lines, and the fuel filter. Everything has either been replaced or looks very new. The motor surges at all rpm levels.

I ran an external tank to the hose that connects directly to the fuel injection pump, and it still surges.

Thanks
Seems like you've hit most of the common issues that would cause a surging problem. To me, it seems like a minor air leak causing the surging. Do like the idea of checking the alternator, since it's very simple to do.

Which fuel filter did you change, external or the one on the motor (secondary filter)? Assumed you bled the fuel system changing the filter on the motor.

Since you have eliminated the tank pick up, would also recheck the primary filter for air leaks and replace all the o-rings. Do you have a vac. gauge on/after your primary? I find these very useful to see some fuel problems at a glance.

If all else fails, call Kubota or even Beta Marine to see if their tech people have any other things to check.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2022, 08:08   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by acudavid View Post
Hi Everyone! I am new to the forum. I sail out of Marina Del Rey and have a Capri 25, a Lancer 30 and the boat I am writing about, a 1979 Catalina 30. The Capri is for single-handing and the Catalina is more passenger friendly, so I am planning to sell the Lancer.

The Catalina was repowered by a previous owner and I have little info about the replacement motor. From what I can tell it is a Kubota 750 aka Universal M20 It is a 2 cyl. The serial numbers mean nothing to Westerbeke and Kubota. I have no documentation.

I am wondering about a governor? I don't have a manual and am having trouble. Anyone have any experience? I am getting desperate!
Thanks
An unlikely suspect, tank pickup usually a flaired compression fitting it is not good enough to check how tight the nut is but the flaired nipple see if you can hand spin it . if so grind down the nut a bit and try again ( i had this issue as well )
c.K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2022, 09:19   #7

Boat: Catalina 30

Info(PDF) in the Universal engines (which are made from Kubota tractor engines as you stated:

Parts breakdowns for the universal engines:

https://shop.toadmarinesupply.com/ma...tname=catalogs
Attached Files
File Type: pdf History of the Universal Motor Company 4.pdf (168.3 KB, 53 views)
sinnerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2022, 09:33   #8

When you set the throttle on the diesel engine, you are actually setting an engine "Speed" for the motor to regulate at.

If the speed drops below the set speed, the governor system , through springs directs the injector pump to send more fuel to the injectors to increase engine speed.

If the engine goes above the set speed, the fuel quantity to the injectors is reduced. The governor and injector pup are continuously regulating to adjust for changes in engine load to keep the speed constant.

That being said, the rack in the injector pump could be sticking.

Another item could be the springs:
On the Kubota 3 cylinder I have , there are TWO springs (that sit one inside the other) which transfer the governor feedback to the fuel injector rack. If one of the springs is missing, stretched or disconnected, it may over-correct and cause the engine to "hunt" .

Hooking the fuel hose directly to the injector pump is probably not a good way to troubleshoot as I believe the pump requires the fuel PUMP's pressure to properly push fuel through the system . Gravity alone will not do it.

Make sure you do not have a problem as well with a clogged air filter or exhaust.

My two cents.

cheers
Old 22-06-2022, 09:35   #9

Also this:

Fuel Starvation and The Obscure Check Ball Valve
https://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,10681.0.html
and
https://forums.sailboatowners.com/th...l%20Starvation
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2022, 09:37   #10

Stu (above) is the go-to guy for these diesels..
Old 22-06-2022, 09:44   #11

more info
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Universal_Diesel_Engine_Data.pdf (41.4 KB, 19 views)
Old 22-06-2022, 11:34   #12

Boat: Hunter 37 Cheribini

When I had this problem it turned out to be the exhaust elbow.

Ask a mech to check is all I can think of.
Apollo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2022, 12:03   #13

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

Do these engines have an EGR valve. I had issues with my truck and I was convinced it was fuel related but it turned out to be the valve.
Old 22-06-2022, 14:42   #14

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
Do these engines have an EGR valve. I had issues with my truck and I was convinced it was fuel related but it turned out to be the valve.

Nope, no egr
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, diesel, sail, sailboat