Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2021, 09:19   #1

Boat: Northwind 43 DS
Turbo Removal on Yanmar 4JH2-HTE

My turbo is seized and I am trying to remove it for servicing. I canít seem to get at the upper right side nut. It looks like I need to remove the air cooler along with the air duct in order to get that nut.

Has anyone on the forum worked on one of these and am I correct in my thinking?
RoyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 13:04   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Turbo Removal on Yanmar 4JH2-HTE

Here's the service manual. Go to about page 168 for turbocharger disassembly. Good luck with it.

http://www.endeavourowners.com/dscsn...e%20Manual.pdf
Old 30-04-2021, 16:48   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

We have an older (1990) 4JH turbo. The first time I removed the turbo, it took me much of the day. I can now remove it in less than an hour - maybe 40 minutes, and less than an hour back on. I've done the in/out thing maybe 10 times.

First: Yanmar LOVES a pretty package. All nice and compact. You know, so it's impossible to work on? Take towels, blankets, etc and stuff them around the engine. You WILL drop nuts or parts. I promise. And this keeps them from getting down to the bilge.

Second: Make yourself a comfortable seat. We use a round ball fender. Admiral bought me one just for this purpose. You WILL need both hands. If you can get where you can sit behind the turbo, that's best.

Third: Have someone to pass you tools. Keeps you from having to climb out and back. And an adult beverage or 2.

General: On ours, you have to remove the exhaust elbow (obviously, since it's attached). It IS way easier to remove the intake so that you can get to the critical nuts and bolts. Just bite the bullet, and get them out of the way. Even if you get the turbo out, putting it back in without the intake out of the way is really, really difficult.

Reinstallation: If yours has an oil line (it should), reconnect that first. It's nearly impossible to get it in the right place for the rigid tubing it uses, and if the turbo is already mounted, getting the bolt to thread is crazy hard.

Finally: Servicing/cleaning just delays the inevitable. At least in our case it did. We finally had it rebuilt. Don't get me started on Yanny parts costs. Our turbo is virtually identical to a VW turbo (IHI makes most turbos). A VW turbo is about $250. The same from Yanny is over $2K. Stupid.

Finally, finally: Run the heck out of your turbo. That will help keep it clean. Idling is bad for it.

Good luck!
Old 30-04-2021, 17:06   #4

Turbo Removal on Yanmar 4JH2-HTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyL View Post
My turbo is seized and I am trying to remove it for servicing. I canít seem to get at the upper right side nut. It looks like I need to remove the air cooler along with the air duct in order to get that nut.

Has anyone on the forum worked on one of these and am I correct in my thinking?

I made up a special wrench for this difficult nut but yes, the intercooler and crossover manifold needs to be removed. Itís possible to get the turbo off without removing the intercooler but you need to clean the cooler fins and inspect for debris after a turbo failure. Does your turbo scroll look like this one on an LH series with a badly installed exhaust? Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4580.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	154.8 KB
ID:	237578
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 09:25   #5

Boat: Atlas Pompano 21

I have the same engine. When I need to service the turbo, I separate the main body of the turbo from the turbine wheel chamber (that's the cast housing that is bolted to the exhaust manifold). I leave the turbine wheel chamber in place, and use a wire brush to clean it. Of the 4 bolts that connect the turbo body to the turbine wheel chamber, one is particularly difficult to reach, but I found that a stubby (3" long or so), 13 mm box wrench does the trick. Once the bolt is loose, you can rotate the turbo body to make reaching the bolt a little easier. There is one other bolt that is difficult to reach. This is one of the bolts that connects the oil return pipe underneath the turbo body. A 1/4 drive, 10mm socket with a long extension works.

Once you've done it a time or two, the job is pretty easy. I do it every year or two so I can clean the turbo as part of my regular maintenance.
ScottRhodes13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 12:02   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post
We have an older (1990) 4JH turbo. The first time I removed the turbo, it took me much of the day. I can now remove it in less than an hour - maybe 40 minutes, and less than an hour back on. I've done the in/out thing maybe 10 times.

First: Yanmar LOVES a pretty package. All nice and compact. You know, so it's impossible to work on? Take towels, blankets, etc and stuff them around the engine. You WILL drop nuts or parts. I promise. And this keeps them from getting down to the bilge.

Second: Make yourself a comfortable seat. We use a round ball fender. Admiral bought me one just for this purpose. You WILL need both hands. If you can get where you can sit behind the turbo, that's best.

Third: Have someone to pass you tools. Keeps you from having to climb out and back. And an adult beverage or 2.

General: On ours, you have to remove the exhaust elbow (obviously, since it's attached). It IS way easier to remove the intake so that you can get to the critical nuts and bolts. Just bite the bullet, and get them out of the way. Even if you get the turbo out, putting it back in without the intake out of the way is really, really difficult.

Reinstallation: If yours has an oil line (it should), reconnect that first. It's nearly impossible to get it in the right place for the rigid tubing it uses, and if the turbo is already mounted, getting the bolt to thread is crazy hard.

Finally: Servicing/cleaning just delays the inevitable. At least in our case it did. We finally had it rebuilt. Don't get me started on Yanny parts costs. Our turbo is virtually identical to a VW turbo (IHI makes most turbos). A VW turbo is about $250. The same from Yanny is over $2K. Stupid.

Finally, finally: Run the heck out of your turbo. That will help keep it clean. Idling is bad for it.

Good luck!

Thank you!
Old 03-05-2021, 12:04   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottRhodes13 View Post
I have the same engine. When I need to service the turbo, I separate the main body of the turbo from the turbine wheel chamber (that's the cast housing that is bolted to the exhaust manifold). I leave the turbine wheel chamber in place, and use a wire brush to clean it. Of the 4 bolts that connect the turbo body to the turbine wheel chamber, one is particularly difficult to reach, but I found that a stubby (3" long or so), 13 mm box wrench does the trick. Once the bolt is loose, you can rotate the turbo body to make reaching the bolt a little easier. There is one other bolt that is difficult to reach. This is one of the bolts that connects the oil return pipe underneath the turbo body. A 1/4 drive, 10mm socket with a long extension works.

Once you've done it a time or two, the job is pretty easy. I do it every year or two so I can clean the turbo as part of my regular maintenance.

I was wondering if the turbo separated easily. I will remember that for the future.

Thanks!
Old 11-05-2021, 07:27   #8

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5

Roy, I've had to remove mine due to it being seized. I've got a 4jh2-ute, and that nut took me about 1.5hrs to break it free and spinning with my finger to get off. I found if I tighten the other nuts and did this one first it was the easiest.

Good luck, stay patient and little 1/8th turns you'll get there!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyL View Post
I was wondering if the turbo separated easily. I will remember that for the future.

Thanks!
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 07:49   #9

Wow, based on the number of people who have had to do this, and several times... I'd say "convert it to non turbo!"

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 10:21   #10

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5

I looked into that. For me personally, I would love to not have turbo especially since mine is over powered at 100hp. That said the cost to convert to non turbo when I looked seemed to be quite expensive ($5k or so)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Wow, based on the number of people who have had to do this, and several times... I'd say "convert it to non turbo!"
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 19:03   #11

Boat: Shannon 43 Ketch

I just went through this whole process due a bad exhaust elbow on my 87 4JH HTE. To remove the turbo, I removed the air cooler.....boy I wish I had known to put towels down to catch falling bolts, turbo oil feed line crush washers and hose clamps!
I had it all out in around 3.5 hrs. I had one bolt to the turbo so rusted the whole threaded piece came out - I replaced it with a M8 x 1.25 nut.
Bought an exhaust elbow and mixing elbow from HDI Marine - great kit for great price for series 40 stainless.
My turbo had a minor oil leak in the air intake side and we guessed it was doing same on exhaust side. I took it to Aundel Diesel Performance in Severn, MD and they turned it around 30hrs!!....one boat unit for a complete rebuild. The fans were both fine and there was no wiggle in the axle - it had 4000hrs on it. It's all refurb'd now and with a pretty SS exhaust elbow, riser and mixer.
Now the fun started when I took apart the heat exchanger and cleaned it and the air cooler. Both were pretty clean BUT i had electrolysis or corrosion on the aft end of the heat exchanger at the 2 oclock as you look at it from the back. There had been an RTV repair done previously i found out through discovery. So much for my engine survey when I bought the boat 9 yrs ago. I ordered some new gaskets from Bay Marine in Annapolis and drove 1.5hrs to go pick them up. All new gaskets...I added Permatex 750 to be sure....

Getting the exchanger back on was really straight forward, then the turbo when on without a problem - getting the damn hoses all connected again was a PITA! Then it took me over 2 hours to get the damn air cooler back in - like you said compact! I couldn't get the metal S pipe back into the 3" hose connecting to the engine block behind the starter!! called a buddy as I was getting REALLY frustrated...he had fresh eyes and got it in in 10 minutes - lucky bastard! ha!

Got all the hoses back on finally, filled up fresh anti-freeze, opened seacock, started right up - big flush of water coming out the exhaust pipe on stern of boat - everything seemed YEAH I did - first time ever....nope, here comes Murphy...butthead.

I had a minor seepage of oil coming out of the front oil feed pipe bolt - the pipe that goes to the turbo....so I tightened and my Army Ranger torque wrench bicep is not calibrated and snapped the oil bolt!! Damnit!!! Good luck finding one...well luck would have it, it's a M10x1.5, went to Autozone, found a metric breakline bolt - exact same thing - stuck it in - all's well....
oh no! water leaking from the heat exchanger at the back. So today, to get the back cap off, I took off the oil feed pipe and the head cover to have room. Got the cap off, created a cork gasket, RTV'd the suspect area, through it all back together and EUREKA - no leaks anywhere, engine runs fine....so far.

That was a really long project - but satisfying to have it done.
'87 Shannon 43' Ketch
svMarite is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
removal, yanmar