I just went through this whole process due a bad exhaust elbow on my 87 4JH HTE. To remove the turbo, I removed the air cooler.....boy I wish I had known to put towels down to catch falling bolts, turbo oil feed line crush washers and hose clamps!
I had it all out in around 3.5 hrs. I had one bolt to the turbo so rusted the whole threaded piece came out - I replaced it with a M8 x 1.25 nut.
Bought an exhaust elbow and mixing elbow from HDI Marine
- great kit for great price
for series 40 stainless.
My turbo had a minor oil leak
in the air intake side and we guessed it was doing same on exhaust side. I took it to Aundel Diesel
Performance in Severn, MD and they turned it around 30hrs!!....one boat
unit for a complete rebuild
. The fans were both fine and there was no wiggle in the axle - it had 4000hrs on it. It's all refurb'd now and with a pretty SS exhaust elbow, riser and mixer.
Now the fun started when I took apart the heat exchanger
and cleaned it and the air cooler. Both were pretty clean BUT i had electrolysis
on the aft end of the heat exchanger
at the 2 oclock as you look at it from the back. There had been an RTV repair done previously i found out through discovery. So much for my engine survey
when I bought the boat
9 yrs ago. I ordered some new gaskets from Bay Marine
and drove 1.5hrs to go pick them up. All new gaskets...I added Permatex 750 to be sure....
Getting the exchanger back on was really straight forward, then the turbo when on without a problem - getting the damn hoses all connected again was a PITA! Then it took me over 2 hours to get the damn air cooler back in - like you said compact! I couldn't get the metal S pipe back into the 3" hose connecting to the engine block behind the starter!! called a buddy as I was getting REALLY frustrated...he had fresh eyes and got it in in 10 minutes - lucky bastard! ha!
Got all the hoses back on finally, filled up fresh anti-freeze, opened seacock, started right up - big flush of water
coming out the exhaust pipe on stern of boat - everything seemed YEAH I did - first time ever....nope, here comes Murphy...butthead.
I had a minor seepage of oil coming out of the front oil feed pipe bolt - the pipe that goes to the turbo....so I tightened and my Army Ranger
torque wrench bicep is not calibrated and snapped the oil bolt!! Damnit!!! Good luck finding one...well luck would have it, it's a M10x1.5, went to Autozone, found a metric breakline bolt - exact same thing - stuck it in - all's well....
oh no! water
leaking from the heat exchanger at the back. So today, to get the back cap off, I took off the oil feed pipe and the head
cover to have room. Got the cap off, created a cork gasket
, RTV'd the suspect area, through it all back together and EUREKA - no leaks
anywhere, engine runs fine....so far.
That was a really long project
- but satisfying to have it done.