Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2016, 11:31   #1

Trying To Locate Engine Hours On Perkins M30

Hello, I searched all over the engine, but cannot locate where the meter would be to tell me how many hours are on the engine? I have a 1995 Bene 321 with a Perkins M30. Also, I am planning on changing the oil myself. I see a lot of comments about pumping oil out of the dipstick, which is pretty hard to reach due to location. I see a drain plug on the very bottom of the engine. I assume that is the oil drain plug?
badfish_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 11:43   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: trying to locate engine hours on Perkins M30

Mine is a Rev/NM counter on a panel along with all switches etc at the chart table.. most are fitted on the engine switch panel.
The plug at the bottom is the Sump drain Yes..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 11:50   #3

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Re: trying to locate engine hours on Perkins M30

As Boatman said most hour meters are on the engine panel with the key, instruments, etc. Yours may not have one.
I would be tempted to use the dipstick to drain the oil, just because the drain plug may cause problems if it hasn't been used in forever. Sometimes they're hard to get off, you can end up with a leak after putting it back on. If you do use the drain plug, make sure to install a new crush washer when you put it back on.
Old 21-02-2016, 11:58   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

If you haven't done this before, run the engine a little while, first, it will heat up the oil a bit, and make it easier to suck out the dipstick hole. [most engine installations do not have enough clearance under them for an engine oil drain pan--check how many liters yours takes beforehand, because your pan has to be large enough to easily hold the oil, and also then to transfer to the waste oil jerry jug you have. It would be a great opportunity for a huge awful mess.

We suck out our oil, and the pump discharge goes to a funnel in the mouth of the jug. It's a two step job after the oil is warm. First suck out the oil, then remove the filter. For this step, since ours is horizontal, we use lots of old newspapers to catch the inevitable drips, then the filter also goes in the funnel, to drain. You have to support it, or it will fall out. The rest is easy, the same way one used to do it with cars.

Ann
Old 21-02-2016, 18:20   #5

Thank you all for your quick responses!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
badfish_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 19:07   #6

Boat: Northstar 1500, 35'
Re: Trying To Locate Engine Hours On Perkins M30

Perkins Perama M30 has a separate fitting for connecting an oil change transfer pump, makes the job simple. The standard panel did not include a hour/Hobbs meter but can be added easily and inexpensively.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
captjcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 19:10   #7

If you want to prevent oil going everywhere, these types of incontinent pads are brilliant, and a cheap way to avoid some pretty large fines in some areas, if the oil can end up in the water.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009XJ0EFU?psc=1

Put one under the engine absorbent side down, and another one absorbent side up on top of it, and prevention and cleanup should it be necessary, is a piece of cake. They are useful for all sorts of things (tablecloths where drinks are served, drying off pets, under babies when changing nappies, etc).

Some are much better than others, but I have no idea how good the ones I linked are.
Ribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 12:41   #8

Boat: Gulf 32

From other comments sounds like your engine might not have come with an hour meter... our Universal/Westerbeke on a 1988 did not have one either, so strange to me.

I second going through the dipstick (or the separate port it sounds like you have which is even better) as opposed to the drain plug for the reasons mentioned, just too easy to make a mess in the bilge and risk fines, very different from a little dribble here and there on the driveway.

It's a bit of a pain to store and it's not cheap (almost $200) but I can highly recommend this pump, works great (once the engine's warm), quiet, and makes changing the oil a very easy process, which means I'm much more likely to do it at the 75 hour interval my manual prescribes:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000O8F562
... just follow the recommendations in the comments and don't use the plastic hose clamps it comes with use real stainless ones.

-- Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish_2 View Post
Hello, I searched all over the engine, but cannot locate where the meter would be to tell me how many hours are on the engine? I have a 1995 Bene 321 with a Perkins M30. Also, I am planning on changing the oil myself. I see a lot of comments about pumping oil out of the dipstick, which is pretty hard to reach due to location. I see a drain plug on the very bottom of the engine. I assume that is the oil drain plug?
basssears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 15:13   #9

Boat: Northstar 1500, 35'

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1456182668.475478.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	119429Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1456182700.789670.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	119430Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1456182725.579575.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	119431
Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
captjcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 22:24   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

ran a wire to the switched hot side of the ignition. Way cheaper than buying a sender or whatever. Not absolutely accurate but the ignition key is turned off when the engine is not running so pretty damn close. The price was right, just the cost of the meter and a short bit of wire to run from the switch to where I mounted the meter.

For most small diesels, the standard panel doesn't have an hour meter. You have to upgrade to their deluxe panel to get a meter and other bells and whistles or gauges. Most boat manufacturers didn't bother with the upgrade.

QUOTE=basssears;2053154]From other comments sounds like your engine might not have come with an hour meter... our Universal/Westerbeke on a 1988 did not have one either, so strange to me.

I second going through the dipstick (or the separate port it sounds like you have which is even better) as opposed to the drain plug for the reasons mentioned, just too easy to make a mess in the bilge and risk fines, very different from a little dribble here and there on the driveway.

It's a bit of a pain to store and it's not cheap (almost $200) but I can highly recommend this pump, works great (once the engine's warm), quiet, and makes changing the oil a very easy process, which means I'm much more likely to do it at the 75 hour interval my manual prescribes:
Amazon.com : Jabsco 17800-2000 Marine Porta Quick Oil Changer with Flexible Impeller Pump (3.5-Gallon, 12-Volt, Non CE) : Boat Plumbing Items : Sports & Outdoors
... just follow the recommendations in the comments and don't use the plastic hose clamps it comes with use real stainless ones.

-- Bass[/QUOTE]
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, perkins