Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2019, 04:29   #1

Boat: Four Winns, 280 Horizon, 28
Troubleshooting Shifter Linkage

Hello, I have a 2001 Four Winns 280 with twin Volvos. I recently noticed that intermittently when I shift the port engine into forward, that it doesn't engage. If I lightly give it some throttle, it will start to shift into gear. I'm hoping it is just a minor linkage adjustment. Anyone ever seen this before or have any recommendations? They are gaffrig controls...Thank you for any tips.
nzjnyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2019, 04:43   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Troubleshooting Shifter Linkage

Well, how about two starting points: First, because it's quick, go check the transmission fluid level on the port engine. It could be low and not shifting until it gets some revs. The other, sit beside the engine where you can see the linkage at work while someone else shifts the transmission into forward, and see if there is an adjustment problem in the linkage.
Old 22-07-2019, 05:35   #3

Re: Troubleshooting Shifter Linkage

It's possible that the cone clutch in the port sterndrive has gotten a bit polished, and that's why it is hesitating to engage when going into forward gear. But, as mentioned, check the fluid level in the drive and most importantly, make sure the shift cable hasn't developed excessive play. Adjust the cable and bias it a little to be sure that it moves the shift linkage 100% to the forward position.

DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote