Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2022, 22:59   #1
Wanderer

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Used to be San Francisco Bay, now PNW, soon to be the Caribbean
Boat: Jeanneau 43 DS and soon Leopard 45
Transmission oil leak?

I have been tracing a leak for my Yanmar 4JH3 and I think I finally found it. Sadly, this is right after the diesel mechanic left after replacing oil cooler, exhaust elbow and replacing transmission oil (frustrated that I am the one to find it after getting this serviced and paying multiple thousands of dollars, but that is another story...).

Attaching two photos. This is really at the very bottom of the engine is very hardly accessible. The drop visible in the photo is after roughly 1 hour of motoring at 2600 RPM.

We just left our home marina and started a two month cruise, heading towards Desolation Sound so bringing the mechanic back unfortunately is not an option. I will try to tighten the bolts but my wrench kit and sockets cannot fit in there, I am trying to get an extension set. Not sure if it will help.

What are my options here? How concerned should I be with this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8160.jpeg
Views:	48
Size:	288.3 KB
ID:	258722   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-05-31 at 10.51.56 PM.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	427.3 KB
ID:	258723  

Old 31-05-2022, 23:55   #2

Boat: Landfall 39 - Ron Amy
Re: Transmission oil leak?

While I can’t offer any useful help with that particular transmission, the leak looks small and IMO is unlikely to get much worse. A shallow pan underneath, and live with it till a more convenient time? This somewhat crude strategy worked out well enough for us until we finally got around to locating the issue- an o-ring in our case. Good luck. I wish my tranny looked that shiny….
Oeanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 00:56   #3

Transmission oil leak?

Re check the gearbox oil level it could be as simple as an overfilled gearbox (or a blocked breather hole). Is there any chance that its engine oil, where are the oil cooler pipes relative to the flywheel housing , could be a leak from above.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil, oil leak, transmission