Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2022, 12:00   #1

Transmission oil cooler change Perkins 4108 w/ Hurth Tranny

Hi All,

I recently pulled the dipstick to my transmission to find a chocolate milk substance where transmission oil should be. I believe the oil cooler failed, so i've purchased a new one and it's ready to install. I bought an oil pump to pump the old transmission fluid out through the dipstick hole.

Does anyone know the amount of transmission fluid to add back, and more importantly, do I need to add any additional fluid, to make up what would have been inside the cooler?

Thanks for any help!
Toomuchboattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 15:31   #2

Transmission oil cooler change Perkins 4108 w/ Hurth Tranny

I’ve only seen Hurth mechanical transmissions on the back of Perkins 4-108 ( not hydraulic Hurth) and they have an oil cooler just bolted onto the outside of the gear housing, just an alloy tank with an in/out hose. A failure into the oil side would have to be through the gear case itself , not just the oil cooler.
The often used Borg Warner transmission however does have an externally mounted tube type cooler that fails ( usually because the anode has dwindled) could your Perkins have this transmission?. If so, the capacity varies according to the configuration.....direct drive: reduction drive and vee drive. Here’s the recommended technique for checking oil level. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2826.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	267.3 KB
ID:	260628
skipperpete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 06:02   #3

Boat: Custom 38' Crabber
Re: Transmission oil cooler change Perkins 4108 w/ Hurth Tranny

Dude, you gotta give us a little more information.

What transmission? There are almost a dozen different Hurth transmissions that could have been used. There is a label on the case if it hasn't fallen off. Or a photo of the transmission if it has.
roryboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hurth, oil, perkins, transmission