Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2020, 19:32   #16

Boat: beneteau 11.5
Re: transmission hesitates

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Assuming it’s like my KBW20 which is actually a Hurth I believe, what he said above is the way I believe they work, the clutch packs have weak springs to keep shifting force to a min. They use the torque thats fed through the transmission to push the plates together so the more engine torque, the harder they are pushed together.
I’m going to guess that it’s a shifter issue not shifting all the way, and if not that then somethings sticking to prevent the ramp function that presses the packs together.
The clutches shouldn’t be worn or burnt, if they are then the fluid will be black and smell like Hell, ever smelled a burnt up automatic?

I’m other words I’d disconnect the cable and shift manually and see if that makes it work correctly, just leave it tied in the slip for this.
Of that makes no difference then I’d pull if and tear into it, what do you have to lose? Have to take it out anyway if it’s not working.

Has the shifter cover ever been off?
Of course I will check this before I go further, but doing a bit of research, it looks to me like a worn thrust bearing- not a caged bearing. Worn thrust bearings in transmissions are par for the course, and can cause all kinds of problems, jumping out
parado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2020, 19:36   #17

Boat: beneteau 11.5
Re: transmission hesitates

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Assuming it’s like my KBW20 which is actually a Hurth I believe, what he said above is the way I believe they work, the clutch packs have weak springs to keep shifting force to a min. They use the torque thats fed through the transmission to push the plates together so the more engine torque, the harder they are pushed together.
I’m going to guess that it’s a shifter issue not shifting all the way, and if not that then somethings sticking to prevent the ramp function that presses the packs together.
The clutches shouldn’t be worn or burnt, if they are then the fluid will be black and smell like Hell, ever smelled a burnt up automatic?

I’m other words I’d disconnect the cable and shift manually and see if that makes it work correctly, just leave it tied in the slip for this.
Of that makes no difference then I’d pull if and tear into it, what do you have to lose? Have to take it out anyway if it’s not working.

Has the shifter cover ever been off?
Of course I will check this before I go further, but doing a bit of research, it looks to me like a worn thrust bearing- not a caged bearing. Worn thrust bearings in transmissions are par for the course, and can cause all kinds of problems, jumping out of gear, whining because mis alignment, hard shifting, all of these. Thrust washers align everything and are critical for proper wear and gear alignment. Muncie transmissions same same
parado is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
transmission