Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2022, 07:43   #1

Boat: 1977 Silverten 31 ft
Transmission.

Hey guys I have a 1977 Silverten with twin 318s Chrysler motors with paragons transmissions. I had to replace one transmission in my boat. I ended up buying a transmission from a guy in a different state and had it delivered to my home. I hired a family friend boat mechanic to install the paragon transmission in the boat. it’s pretty much self-explanatory to install it, but after the install and filled with automatic transmission fluid, it will not go into forward or reverse gear. The driveshaft does not spin at all. It doesn’t make any noise or anything. Can anyone lend a hand and could figure out what the problem could be?
Bigjoe9460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2022, 12:30   #2

Boat: twinkeels, 9m
Re: Transmission.

which Paragon transmission model?
bil56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2022, 14:48   #3

Re: Transmission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjoe9460 View Post
Hey guys I have a 1977 Silverten with twin 318s Chrysler motors with paragons transmissions. I had to replace one transmission in my boat. I ended up buying a transmission from a guy in a different state and had it delivered to my home. I hired a family friend boat mechanic to install the paragon transmission in the boat. it’s pretty much self-explanatory to install it, but after the install and filled with automatic transmission fluid, it will not go into forward or reverse gear. The driveshaft does not spin at all. It doesn’t make any noise or anything. Can anyone lend a hand and could figure out what the problem could be?

For both FWD and Astern to be gone it generally means no system oil pressure so, if it’s full of ATF, read on.
Paragon (and Borg Warner) provided the ability to use contra rotating engines, if you got the wrong rotation gearbox, the internal oil pump needs to be adjusted for the direction of input shaft (engine)rotation.
First check that your engines either are or are not contra rotating, no biggy if they are, the gearbox will still be ok it’s hopefully just the pump and not a selector seal problem.
Pete.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
transmission