Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2013, 10:56   #61

Re: Tough question...I'm replacing my engine, an older Yanmar...

Had very good luck with Beta Marine
CaptainJesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:20   #62

Boat: Grand Soleill 41 - Gali
30 HP for a 61' trimaran is by far underpowered. The actual load comes from wind and waves an a 30 HP will not carry you upwind in a 25Kn wind. I sailed a Lagoon 440 with two 55 HP engines (Yanmar by the way) and the boat will hardly move upwind in a 25Kn wind.
And yes I vote for KISS no need for turbo
Old 05-04-2013, 19:27   #63

Boat: Hughes/Perry custom CF 63' tri; Hughes 46 custom tri, Hobie 20 Fox

levm, thx for the advice, but I have never power into a 25 knot wind and seas. I have successfully sailed into a 35-40 knot wind and sea, not happily, but successfully. I sail. I'm really not a power guy...and, you know, there is always the time when you just can't power into the weather, no matter what sized engine one wishes to use.
Pipeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 20:16   #64

...saying all that, I am looking at the Beta 35 4 cyl. (35 hp) or Beta 38 4 cyl. (38 hp). Not much more money, just a few hundred dollars, as I don't need a special transmission, though both above are 68 more pounds of weight than the beta 30, a 3 cyl with 30 hp. I like to sail fast, and I watch what I put on the boat. Lighter the better (except with ground tackle!).
Old 13-04-2013, 03:12   #65

Just finishing up on a repower of my Cambria 44, replacing a 23 year old Westerbeke 58 (a marinized Perkins) with a Beta 60. The primary problem with the Westerbeke was diminishing reliability, galvanic corrosion of the aluminum exhaust manifold, and a 2 month delay in getting parts from Westerbeke or being told that it no longer carried the part, i.e. last summer, a failed oil cooler . I did not want to get stuck during upcoming trips to Nova Scotia or the Caribbean due to lack of a critical Westerbeke spare part.

We understood that with the recession, Westerbeke's main business is now was selling generators. Also the 58's replacement was too long for the engine compartment. My engine mechanic who primarily works on fishing boats said there was no question about going with a Japanese diesel.

Beta US was very accommodating about moving engine components such as the oil dipstick and oil change pump around to fit the boat's engine compartment. The custom feet were also a plus, although we found that Beta would only provide custom feet parallel to the crankshaft so that they needed shims to accommodate my sloped engine bed. Beta US support is excellent.

The primary problem with Yanmar was its insistence on 3" exhaust hose in place of the existing 2" hose, which would have been difficult to install and would have added significant cost. We were told that Yanmar would void the engine warranty if 2" hose were used.
lrclough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2013, 04:12   #66

What is your question? To go with a 2" exhaust with no warranty?
YankeePSC34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2013, 17:17   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by maine50 View Post
Another vote for Beta. Installed Beta 38 myself, 2 years ago. They will work with you to try to adapt the their mount mount spacing so you do not have to modify your engine beds. I needed another inch width and they used 1/2 inch spacer blocks on both sides. They also publish a list of common consumables with generic part numbers- filters, belta, impellers etc. so you can either order from them or go to autoparts store.. Tim- Tartan 41/43- Northstar.
maine50, Target9000, and cpa, would you order anything extra now that you have had your engine for a while? My extras and prices below, not yet finalized...

Beta 38: $8,563.00
TMC 60 2.83:1 included with engine from 38 hp (edit: I am replacing a larger Yanmar, keeping the same feathering prop, so a bigger reduction gear)
Waterproof C panel - 496.00
100 amp serpentine belt - 440.00
Second 100 amp alternator - 758.40
Water heater fittings - 38.00
Shipping approximately - 350.00 (Oakland to Honolulu)

Thx, in advance.
Old 23-04-2013, 18:04   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipeline View Post
maine50, Target9000, and cpa, would you order anything extra now that you have had your engine for a while? My extras and prices below, not yet finalized...

Beta 38: $8,563.00
TMC 60 2.83:1 included with engine from 38 hp (edit: I am replacing a larger Yanmar, keeping the same feathering prop, so a bigger reduction gear)
Waterproof C panel - 496.00
100 amp serpentine belt - 440.00
Second 100 amp alternator - 758.40
Water heater fittings - 38.00
Shipping approximately - 350.00 (Oakland to Honolulu)

Thx, in advance.

That looks about right to me.

Make sure you talk to them about your engine mounting situation. Beta is very good about working with you if you need certain brackets for the mounting.
Old 23-04-2013, 18:34   #69
cpa

Boat: Compass 47

The list looks good. I agree with Target9000 on the mounts. Beta is very accommodating.
cpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2013, 21:37   #70

Boat: Hans Christian 33
We ended up having to get the optional hi rise exhaust coupling for around $250.
Old 26-04-2013, 00:29   #71

Re: Tough Question...I'm Replacing My Engine, An Older Yanmar...

Thx, guys. I will speak will Beta Marine West tomorrow. This Beta Marine engine quest has been a real plus for me. Thx to all of you who have given me great advice over the past couple of weeks!
Old 26-04-2013, 00:57   #72

Boat: Privilege 37

Beta make great engines on boats - or more accurately, they make great mariniation versions of Kubota. But they tend to be a bit heavier, although this also translates into less vibration.

However, for least weight and easiest worldwide access to ALL spares, it is hard to beat the Yanmar.

The spares for kubota are cheap and easy access, but beta specific items may be harder to source in remote areas.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:13   #73

Boat: Island Packet 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target9000 View Post
Nice semantics Mark. Very nice. But in reality, when human beings speak, they usually do so in declarative statements. It is assumed generally that unless citation is provided, it is not a scientific fact when we say things. I suppose I'll have to put a disclaimer into my signature to MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE that everyone realizes that EVERYTHING I have ever said is MY opinion and shouldn't be taken as fact. ...
You never learn anything when you only talk and don't listen. We have a conversation and learn from each other. This is a forum and EVERYTHING is taken as opinion. Even science is an educated opinion.
With that being said. My opinion is I have owned 2 Volvo's in the past. No complaints (but we are talking the old MD's in the 70's). I have owned one Yanmar - One complaint (hard to find impellor). I have owned two Westerbeke engines and had bad luck with them, so my mileage is not positive, but yours may vary.
I am looking to repower a Cape Dory and have been doing a lot of research. In the past few weeks of searching I have yet to find anyone who OWNS or OWNED a Beta who is not a happy customer. I have found unhappy customers with all the other brands.
Now, I am an actuarial programmer by trade, and I prescribe to the Richard Feynman way of doing research (recreate the baseline!).

What is important to me:
1. Reliability / Dependability
2. Quiet
3. Easy to work on and find parts
4. Factory Support
5. Warranty and ability to do my own installation if desired
6. Being free to order from any parts or engine dealer

Why would I not choose a Beta when I don’t hear complaints from those before me who went that direction?
tdoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:31   #74

Boat: Hans Christian 33
Had the same criteria, beta has met and eceeded expectations so far.
Old 09-05-2013, 13:00   #75

Boat: Island Packet 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
Beta make great engines on boats - or more accurately, they make great mariniation versions of Kubota. But they tend to be a bit heavier, although this also translates into less vibration.

However, for least weight and easiest worldwide access to ALL spares, it is hard to beat the Yanmar.

The spares for kubota are cheap and easy access, but beta specific items may be harder to source in remote areas.
My take from personal and hearing the stories from others that when something breaks in the middle of nowhere most of the time parts have to be ordered in regardless. Meaning you may have a nice Yanmar dealer on the island, but he can't stock parts for all Yanmars so it has to be ordered from a distribution facility anyway. My complaint with Yanmar is the dealer I liked to deal with could not ship to where we happened to be and had to go through another dealer that was not as pleasant to deal with.

Love to hear other experiences with the same?

Ask Volvo or Westerbeke what block their model is based off of and bets are they will not disclose that?
tdoster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, yanmar