Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2020, 09:24   #31

Boat: Roberts 45
Re: Tohatsu 2-stroke dies shortly after running at WOT, hard to restart

Quote:
Originally Posted by anacapaisland42 View Post
What is WOT?

400+ posts and you've never come across this term? And never bothered to google it ?

Old 10-05-2020, 10:59   #32

Boat: Boatless Again

If you're concerned about overheating, but your hand in the pee stream. It should be warm, but not hot enough to burn you.

donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 14:33   #33

Boat: Catana 471

Thanks everyone for the advice. Looks like the fuel hose was the issue. Replaced the (delaminating) grey stuff with regular Shields type A1 hose, and engine seems strong and hasnít died once over multiple hard test runs.

Put muffs on and flushed cooling passes, and seems to have decent flow. It still runs just a little rough from idle up to ~25% throttle, so probably do still need to clean the carb.
Jetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 14:38   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
Here is an example of what the grey plastic fuel hose looks like when the inner liner collapses.
Mine looked similar, but with yellow goo between the inner liner and the outer shell. There wasnít a huge amount of it in there, but what there was I could push/squeeze out like youíd squeeze toothpaste from a tube.
Old 10-05-2020, 15:18   #35
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetx View Post
Thanks everyone for the advice. Looks like the fuel hose was the issue. Replaced the (delaminating) grey stuff with regular Shields type A1 hose, and engine seems strong and hasnít died once over multiple hard test runs.

Put muffs on and flushed cooling passes, and seems to have decent flow. It still runs just a little rough from idle up to ~25% throttle, so probably do still need to clean the carb.
Good you found the problem easy enough & yes cleaning the carb is helpful if you have a rough idle. I recommend again using a filter funnel when filling & having an inline fuel filter. It's particularly important on small outboards as they have tiny jets & the intank filters are too coarse.
Much easier fix for you than cleaning out cooling galleries
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2020, 08:04   #36

If you are running ethanol laden gas, you can plan on having a fuel system failure of some type pretty much every year. Hoses can be alcohol resistant, but they are only resistant. Pot metals carbs are slowly eaten away by ethanol. Ethanol is evil stuff. Its an excellent solvent which means that it slowly destroys just about everything, except some plastics. Combine it with water and it turns to sludge, which clogs things up.

I have a multitude of farm equipment, pumps, mowers, boats, etc and I found myself doing multiple carb rebuilds/replacements every year! I decided to source alcohol free gas for everything except cars and trucks that are regularly run and my annual carb repairs stopped.
Dave9111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2020, 10:26   #37

Boat: DeFever Raised Pilot House 49

Another forum has a similar thread-the grey fuel hoses are notorious for inner liner collapse. 1st remedy would be to replace the gray hose with black fuel hose.
Old 15-05-2020, 10:30   #38

Since everyone has pretty well described all the fuel line, fuel delivery issues, I would offer two other tests. Take a can of "Carburetor Cleaner" out next time. When the engine sputters and stops, spray a bit of carb cleaner in the area of the intake. If it runs a few seconds and quits again, it is probably fuel related.

Another temperature related issue is the ignition coil. Then can have a broken winding and at elevated temps, the coil can literally stop. Electronic engine controls can fail with an open printed circuit board in the same manner. If the engine has an ignition module (electronic ignition). A good way to test that is to have a crew member dangle their feet in the water and hold a spark plug wire while cranking the engine. The level of agitation of the crew member is an indicator of the level of operation of the ignition system. Be prepared to swim home.
tbertw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2020, 11:30   #39

Boat: Lock Crowther 37' Catamaran - ORYOKI

Gray hose seems to be a problem. But is it the color of the hose (i think not) or the rating of the hose. It would be helpful if you would post the spec of the failing hose rather than just the color.

The hose i have on my aux tank is: LP-1600 EPA-SGM-1600 Type B1-B15. Is this the hose that is giving the problems? Is this type hose only gray?
Old 15-05-2020, 14:35   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyFeat View Post
Gray hose seems to be a problem. But is it the color of the hose (i think not) or the rating of the hose. It would be helpful if you would post the spec of the failing hose rather than just the color.
Obviously, you're right. The gray color isn't the issue, it's the way the hose is constructed. Mine was this this stuff, marked "Supex", but sold under the Seachoice brand, and I'm sure other brands as well. It happens to be gray in color and rated B1-15, but I'm not sure all gray B1-15 hoses have the same construction and are vulnerable to the same problem.

Here are a few other reports of the same type of failure:

I think if you avoid the stuff with the clear inner liner, you're probably fine. I replaced mine with a non laminated Shields type A1-15 hose.
Old 15-05-2020, 16:16   #41

Boat: Grand Banks Classic 42 Sold- M/V HOPE now we're Hopeless

Fuel problem--filter is prime suspect, fuel line kinked is next, float in carb--and while your there high speed jet.
Assuming you have this years fuel in tank and tank is delivering gas to the filter
CaptJPMcGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2020, 07:14   #42

Where did you get a 2016 Tohatsu 2 stroke?? I have that motor but mine is a mid 90s.
They havent sold 2 strokes in the US for quite some time now. Great motor and just about the most power per pound of any small outboard.
pau-hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2020, 07:25   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by pau-hana View Post
Where did you get a 2016 Tohatsu 2 stroke?? I have that motor but mine is a mid 90s.
This one came with the boat when I bought it, but was originally purchased in St. Maarten (where you can still buy them).
Old 16-05-2020, 08:10   #44

Ah... I was guessing it came from outside the US. Well lucky you! Thats a gem of a motor. My old one runs perfectly. I put on a SS prop and my Caribe c-10 will do 32mph at WOT.
pau-hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2020, 09:16   #45

Boat: 35' sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterford View Post
As you pointed out above, your fuel line is delaminating internally. Nothing to do but replace it with a good brand. I had the same mystery problem with a smaller Tohatsu and the new fuel line did the trick.
I had an older Honda do something similar. Ran fine till I ran it wide open.
Realized it was litterally running out of fuel!
Got whole new hose and bulb. Fine but running a little hot too. Checked thermostat and ...
Found a barnicle in there. Really, not kidding. So changed that to just a restrictor by removing the guts of it. Figured don't need to warm up much in Florida.
All is well now.

Tonali99 is offline   Reply With Quote