Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2007, 20:03   #1

Unhappy To Charge or Not to Charge...

Let me just start off by saying how greatful I am for this forum and for everything it has helped me understand and accomplish after our recent purchase of our 37' Beneteau Oceanis. I recently swapped out all of the batteries on both house and starting banks. I did so and choose AGM as I hear they are the best battery due to being maintenence free and very strong...? After the switch I realized that the battery light for the engine of our 2003 HE B1 Volvo Penta was flashing. I believe this flashing is due to using these AGM batteries whether the alternator is not compatable with them or it is not strong enough to power/charge them... That is the current theory... I would most definitely appreciate and suggestion. I was thinking of putting a "beefier" alternator in to not only be compatible but also help charge better while in gear. I also have just purchased a honda generator 2000kw after all the help ppl. posted on powering in the islands. We leave in a week for a month and a half in the Bahamas, weather permitting. Unsure of what is compatible with my system as far as replacing the new alternator. Any suggestions?!@!

Also, just reading into the alternator section of my engine manual I learned that if you shut off the main power while engine is running the regulator might be destroyed. I have done that before so that may be an issue... Is the regulator located in the alternator as well?

Thanks!
alexleclainche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 21:19   #2
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Alex, you might need to check with Beneteau and if the boat was not purchased new--check to see what has been modified.

The regulator may very well be integral in the alternator, and yes, improperly switching or disconnecting things can blow out an alternator or regulator in a mere few seconds--depending on type and exactly what has been done.

Some AGM batteries are designed to run at the same voltages at conventional wet lead batteries, others are not. You need to check the charging voltages for your batteries (on the maker's web site or directly from the maker) and then make sure your regulator is matched to that. If you have an integral regulator, that is typically designed for automotive use and converting to use an external marine regulator will give you faster charging and much better battery life--a very good investment.

If you do not have manuals for the boat, get them from Beneteau. They should tell you exactly what a flashing battery light means.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 21:31   #3

Thanks hellosailor for your input. There is one problem though which has made this an even harder task. The engine is not the original... It is a newer engine installed by a prior owner... This voids the idea of contacting beneteau but i will be contacting Volvo Penta to hear their input.
alexleclainche is offline   Reply With Quote