Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2020, 09:18   #16

Boat: KP 46
Re: Timber or steel for engine mounts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Nay mate, neither wood or steel, alloy is the only way to go, doesn't rot or rust.

I used 75 x 10 x 30 alloy angle which I bolted the engine mounts to with countersunk bolts tapped through the angle from the bottom. The two alloy rails then sat inside the old rails and were located by pins welded into the old rails. I could remove two large retaining bolts and lift the engine out without disturbing the alignment. Drop her back in wiggle over the pins, two bolts and the drive flange and she was ready to go.
I did exactly that 10 years ago with a KP 46 replacing a VW pathfinder with a Yanmar. It worked great and I have had zero problems with it.

M
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 09:20   #17

Boat: 30 feet sailboat, 1991

I used aluminum angle ( mine was 2x2 but engine only 200 lbs). 30 years later it is fine and zero corrosion, stainless bolts like new
peter loveridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 10:41   #18

Boat: CAL-2 30'

We made a wood mockup of the engine for placement etc. Ironwood beds epoxied and lag bolted to the fiberglass rails and 1/2" Stainless lag bolt through all. Engine mounts mounted via drilled/tapped holes in the SS.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0281.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	428.0 KB
ID:	209823   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0282.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	434.9 KB
ID:	209824  

davenrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 12:46   #19

Quote:
Nay mate, neither wood or steel, alloy is the only way to go, doesn't rot or rust.

I used 75 x 10 x 30 alloy angle which I bolted the engine mounts to with countersunk bolts tapped through the angle from the bottom. The two alloy rails then sat inside the old rails and were located by pins welded into the old rails. I could remove two large retaining bolts and lift the engine out without disturbing the alignment. Drop her back in wiggle over the pins, two bolts and the drive flange and she was ready to go.
Yah. Ive had good luck with aluminum

Keep electricity off it and observe proper craftsmanship
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 13:57   #20

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

My current boat has used the aluminium angle bolted alongside the original beds to narrow the mounting width (installed about 2 engines ago) and it's still serviceable so this is definitely a solution. Having said that, galvanised builder's lintels are as cheap as chips and would work fine and are probably available at Bunnings. One thing I do suggest, however, is to make sure the additional height introduced won't screw up the shaft alignment as the base of the mounts need to align with the horizontal centre of the shaft and engine mounts have a limited range of adjustment in some designs (about 15mm for the Beta IIRC). If this is likely to be a problem, builders lintels, angle grinder, welder and cold galv will quickly solve that problem.
Reefmagnet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 14:06   #21

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

my 40 yr old eng mount plates are 5-6mm angle steel, bit flaky in places but I'm not thinking of replacing them anytime soon. But I would consider using 12-15mm marine grade aluminium if I was doing a replacement.
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 14:41   #22

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Given the size requirement for the OP's project I doubt he would be interested in my approach, but I want to mention it for general interest. My bedlogs need to be raised by 2" for the new engine. The front mounts will be easy as they just need a 2" thick pad, which I have made out of commercial G10 fiberglass, drilled and tapped for the hex mounting bolts of the engine mounts. The rear mounts will require some shaping to the hull. In both cases they will be firmly attached with epoxy and glass to the old bedlogs and the hull itself. The downside is cost: IIRC I paid about $250 for four of the 2" x 10" x 4.5" blocks. These should be plenty strong and inert - no corrosion issues - and offer a perfectly flat surface for the engine mounts (an issue with the current bedlogs).

Greg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	G10mount.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	433.2 KB
ID:	209835  
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 15:00   #23

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Well, lots of happy aluminium users out there. I will put it in the mix. I can see some benefits.

I really liked the builder’s lintel idea too.

Thanks all.
Old 01-03-2020, 15:18   #24

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Well, lots of happy aluminium users out there. I will put it in the mix. I can see some benefits.

Thanks all.

Builders lintel is what a PO had installed when repowering mine.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 15:55   #25

Boat: 1930 timber gaff rigged cutter

Gilow-I used 316 stainless angle iron, can not fault it. Then high density poly ethylene (HDPE) pads that the mounts sit on. Isolates the de-similar metal contact.
Just a note: watch your water line as the reduction in weight will likely lift your prop too near the surface. I ended up using ballasts to compensate when I put my Yanmar in.
Best of luck.
mercater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 15:55   #26

Several years ago, when I was working as a marine mechanic's assistant, we used painted 3x3" steel angle on top of some chewed-up wood rail. The one thing worth mentioning is that we drilled and tapped the steel rails for the engine mounts. The mounts were then a breeze to bolt on.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 21:12   #27

Boat: Lidgard yacht 32ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenrino View Post
We made a wood mockup of the engine for placement etc. Ironwood beds epoxied and lag bolted to the fiberglass rails and 1/2" Stainless lag bolt through all. Engine mounts mounted via drilled/tapped holes in the SS.
Nice set-up.
Davo1404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 21:17   #28

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Hmmmm... I simply cannot source aluminium angle that would be remotely strong enough for this job. A pity, since it did sound promising. Likewise, stainless steel would be a bit tricky.

I’ve got a good local source of galvanised lintels in sizes that feel right though.

I’ve taken a day away from the engine to do more enjoyable tasks, I’ll see how it looks tomorrow in light of the suggestions here.
Old 01-03-2020, 22:41   #29

Boat: CT 49, 1989

Quote:

I assume you are talking about aluminum alloy?

It doesn't 'rust' but it certainly oxidizes, corrodes (pick a word).
Q Xopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 01:50   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Thanks all.
What, exactly, are you (pl) referring to, when you say "builders lintel"?
Concrete?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, steel