Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2020, 13:51   #1

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 469
Testing Yanmar diesel on the hard?

Hi all,
I have a 46' sailboat with a Yanmar 4JH5E engine. The boat was up on the hard for storage during hurricane season in Marsh Harbor when it took a direct hit from Hurricane Dorian. The hurricane broke the straps and the boat fell on its side. The mast broke in half but most other damage seems cosmetic. No water came into the interior.

I'm finally getting the boat set upright soon and will want to test run the motor (and Onan generator). But wanted to see if anyone had any tips or suggestions. The boat has been on its side at a 30 degree angle for five months now, and I'm hopeful when I check the oil there won't be water in the crankcase. I'm also hopeful that no water worked its way through the exhaust system into the engine. My plan is to disconnect the seawater suction hose and have it suck out of a 5 gallon bucket and try to run it for a bit that way. Also put in gear and make sure the prop turns.

If anyone has any recommendations or tips please share. The idea would be if the motor runs, motor it from Marsh Harbor to West End and from there across the Gulf Stream to Florida then up to St Augustine for repairs and a new mast and such.

Take care everyone.
Rdubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2020, 14:36   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Testing Yanmar diesel on the hard?

I think you have a good plan, it ought to work, but watch for water flow and if you don’t have any, shut it down.
Unless water got into it, it ought to be fine.
I’d get a good look at the mounts, and once it’s in the water, After letting it sit a day or so I’d check alignment before setting off.
Without a mast, the boats motion will be fast and harsh, the tall mast and its mass slows the rolling motion way down, so picking smooth days to travel will be more important than normal.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2020, 17:17   #3

Like an impeller running dry, running the prop shaft for very long without water on the cutless bearing and stuffing box will ruin them.
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2020, 17:53   #4

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

For the trip back, it might be worth checking out this thread: CarDude begins epic broke-boat return to US - Trawler Forum

Cardude over on Trawlerforum did a very similar recovery run with his boat (with a broken mast) a few months ago.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2020, 18:34   #5

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 469

I just read that whole post. Thank you very much rslifkin.
Also thanks a64 and DougR. I'm hoping to only run the prop (saildrive) for a few seconds on the hard to make sure it still works.
And very good call on picking the days. I'm hoping that by taking Little Bahama Bank to get to West End that will reduce the magnitude of any waves/seas, and once in West End I can tie up and wait for good conditions.
Just fingers crossed on the motor and drivetrain. And that the hull is in okay shape where it had been laying on its side. Be kind of sad if the weight over months distorted the hull. Should know soon, they got the boat raised today.
Rdubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2020, 09:31   #6

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

Plan sounds OK. Put some liquid soap on the cutlass before dropping it into gear and don't run it long there either. Cutlass needs lube of some kind if out of the water.

Definitely check the alignment and motor mounts once on the water.
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2020, 09:39   #7

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdubs View Post
Hi all,
I have a 46' sailboat with a Yanmar 4JH5E engine. The boat was up on the hard for storage during hurricane season in Marsh Harbor when it took a direct hit from Hurricane Dorian. The hurricane broke the straps and the boat fell on its side. The mast broke in half but most other damage seems cosmetic. No water came into the interior.

I'm finally getting the boat set upright soon and will want to test run the motor (and Onan generator). But wanted to see if anyone had any tips or suggestions. The boat has been on its side at a 30 degree angle for five months now, and I'm hopeful when I check the oil there won't be water in the crankcase. I'm also hopeful that no water worked its way through the exhaust system into the engine. My plan is to disconnect the seawater suction hose and have it suck out of a 5 gallon bucket and try to run it for a bit that way. Also put in gear and make sure the prop turns.

If anyone has any recommendations or tips please share. The idea would be if the motor runs, motor it from Marsh Harbor to West End and from there across the Gulf Stream to Florida then up to St Augustine for repairs and a new mast and such.

Take care everyone.
Bummer! That's a nice boat you have but it sounds like you've fared better than many after that blow. I'd only run the engine just long enough to see if it works - too long and you could damage the shaft with no lubrication. The big question will be the alignment of the motor to the shaft and you can't really sort this one out until you get the boat in the water. You could inspect the motor mounts but even that won't tell the whole story.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2020, 09:54   #8

Boat: Borrensen BB-10

I believe that if there is any water in a cylinder you will hydrolock the engine upon starting and you may bend a connecting rod. You could pull the injectors and turn the crankshaft, even with the starter engine, to expel any water. I know. I did.

You can run the engine briefly without raw seawater cooling. I know. We did this in diesel class.

Other than that a quick check of engine systems would be a good idea.

I have read Nigel Calder's very useful book and I know that there is a lot I don't know.
Oohla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2020, 09:58   #9

Boat: Gemini Legacy 35

5 gallons not a lot of water for an engine that size. My little 15hp engine will take 3 gallons in about 2-3 min (as measured when winterizing). I would want a plan to replenish the bucket of water while the engine is running.
WayForward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2020, 10:09   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Does a sail drive have a Cutlass bearing? I thought they were like an Outboard.

On your way back Green Turtle is an excellent place to wait out weather, the club is running a $1 per foot per day price right now, they have no power though and no WiFi, but do have water and fuel. Pick a good day to go around the Whale of course.

Then the next real good place to sit out a Norther in my opinion is Great Sale Cay and of course West End is very well protected, and near as I could tell completely un-damaged.

On my way to the boat I’d bring plenty of extra fuel filters if you don’t have them, maybe some water got in or bugs or whatever, either way you can’t have too many extra fuel filters.

I’m at Green Turtle now, we may pass. Their radio net is on 72 each morning at 08:15 if you need to contact someone.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2020, 10:35   #11

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

Quote:
Does a sail drive have a Cutlass bearing? I thought they were like an Outboard.

My bad, missed that in the Op's second post. Sail drives are indeed like outboards. No exterior lube needed.
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2020, 10:48   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Running an engine for a short time will not hurt anything. If the idea is just to see if the engine will run and turn the prop, you don't need water. I had a water blockage at the seawater intake and ran the engine for quite a while, way more than 15 minutes, before it overheated and let me know it wasn't getting water. Impellor was still good though I did change it just to be safe.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2020, 12:41   #13

Boat: Beneteau

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I think you have a good plan, it ought to work, but watch for water flow and if you don’t have any, shut it down.
Unless water got into it, it ought to be fine.
I’d get a good look at the mounts, and once it’s in the water, After letting it sit a day or so I’d check alignment before setting off.
Without a mast, the boats motion will be fast and harsh, the tall mast and its mass slows the rolling motion way down, so picking smooth days to travel will be more important than normal.
Like they said.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2020, 12:47   #14

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

When I winterize my westerbeke w30 I do as you propose, put the raw water intake hose in a 5 gal bucket. Would suggest you prime the hose and then quickly insert into bucket of water. My 30hp goes thru 5 gal in about 1 minute at 1100 rpm, so would have a person at the helm and one down below refilling bucket.
Roverhi - good to know I could run my diesel for a while w/o raw water before over heating.
Sorry to hear of your weather mishap, hope all turns out well.
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2020, 12:53   #15

Boat: Lagoon TPI 37'

If you have a shower wand nearby, turn it on into the strainer. Or run garden hose into strainer. Excess will just go into the bilge and be pumped out. I am guessing your fresh water tank is bigger than 5 gallons. That way you could change your fresh water out.
sailingchiro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, on the hard, yanmar