Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2023, 08:49   #1

Boat: Morgan, Out Island 416 Ketch
Tee in a diesel return line??

Are tees in the return line ok? I’ve got a 6K generator and the ol’ Perkins sharing 2 tanks. There is a simple tee the the feed line from the Raycor but they ran the genset return straight to the aux tank. Is there a reason for that or did the installer just run out of tees?
FatDaddyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2023, 08:59   #2

Re: Tee in a diesel return line??

Hard to say why, but for a return line, the main issue is making sure it wont overfill a tank over time. Other than that , doesn't matter which tank it goes to. Return fuel flow is pretty minimal usually.
On a boat I had with two tanks I just had the return line and feed line each on a 3 way valve. I always turned them to the same tank and returned the fuel to whichever tank it came from.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2023, 09:32   #3

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
On a boat I had with two tanks I just had the return line and feed line each on a 3 way valve. I always turned them to the same tank and returned the fuel to whichever tank it came from.
We have 2 tanks and a 3 way valve to divert the return to either tank. Similarly, we generally return the fuel to the tank we are using, but can be switched over to the other tank to help balance the fuel amount if that tank is low.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2023, 11:57   #4

Boat: Newport 30

I used a tee in the return line for my fuel polishing setup.
7 years later and no problems.
Old 28-05-2023, 13:22   #5

Boat: Sceptre 41

We have a tee (actually, a 2-way valve) on our return line so that we can switch to fill up our diesel heater(s) header tank. We watch carefully so we don't overfill. Works great.
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2023, 14:27   #6

Boat: Columbia 36

The fuel return can be tee'd into the fuel supply line upstream of the lift pump. A lot of engines are plumbed that way, saves a lot of pipe or hose. A lot easier if you have multiple tanks with a feed selector, you don't have to do anything with the return. Only downside I know of is it takes a little longer to bleed air out, any air in the return will go through the system again. My boat has twin Perkins mains and an Onan genset, all are plumbed this way.
I'm not sure this would work with a common rail engine, they return a lot of fuel. In mechanical diesels it's just a dribble.
capt jgw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2023, 09:55   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Albin 25 trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatDaddyG View Post
Are tees in the return line ok? I’ve got a 6K generator and the ol’ Perkins sharing 2 tanks. There is a simple tee the the feed line from the Raycor but they ran the genset return straight to the aux tank. Is there a reason for that or did the installer just run out of tees?
You MAY be introducing air into your fuel system when installing a Tee, this is why every engine should have it's own return fuel hose. Joe
Engine man is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel