Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2013, 16:32   #1

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Tapping into Engine Cooling Water Line for Galley

We are installing a salt water faucet at the galley to help preserve our limited fresh water supply.
I’m not a fan of drilling any more holes in the boat than I have to, especially below the waterline
I am therefore considering tapping into the cooling water">engine cooling water line by insering a t-piece just behind the inlet ball valve.

The salt water pump is a simple manually operated (foot pump) so the draw is negligible, so I am not worried about “starving” the supply to the engine.
I am concerned, however, that I may introduce a way to suck air into the engine cooling water (although the engine is fresh-water cooled via a heat exchanger).
If I put a ball valve in the line to the pump, will the system be ok, or am I taking too much of a risk tapping off the engine cooling water?

Thanks for your advice.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2013, 17:30   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Tapping into engine cooling water line for galley

Hi, Patrick,

I answered you a bit ago, but the post has disappeared. Jim did exactly what you propose to do to I-1, and we never had a problem with diminished flow to the engine that we were aware of , nor was their an airlock problem. It saved us huge amounts of fresh water.

Ann
Old 27-08-2013, 18:54   #3

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Re: Tapping into engine cooling water line for galley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Hi, Patrick,

I answered you a bit ago, but the post has disappeared. Jim did exactly what you propose to do to I-1, and we never had a problem with diminished flow to the engine that we were aware of , nor was their an airlock problem. It saved us huge amounts of fresh water.

Ann
Thanks for your input Ann. Your post didn't disappear... I couldn't decide whether to pose the question in the Engines and Propulsion section or the Plumbing section, so I posted in both... and you originally answered in the other one! Sorry for any confusion
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 08:17   #4

Re: Tapping into Engine Cooling Water Line for Galley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyalan View Post
I am concerned, however, that I may introduce a way to suck air into the engine cooling water (although the engine is fresh-water cooled via a heat exchanger).
If I put a ball valve in the line to the pump, will the system be ok, or am I taking too much of a risk tapping off the engine cooling water?

Thanks for your advice.
So long you do not forget to turn off the valve it should be OK. I do not know about a foot pump but with a hand pump it is very hard to draw some water when the engine run at 2200 rpm. A deck wash pump will definitely reduce the flow of coolant to the engine.
chala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 09:27   #5
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

A fresh water cooling pump can create a good vacuum when running. I have no idea if that would affect this foot pumps internal parts or whether there would be any air ingress through the cooling pump reversing the pressure through the foot pump that was designed for flow in the other direction thus affecting the engines cooling capabilities. You would think if it is a good tight plumbing seal that there would be no issues. But just thinking out loud, I would think as a precaution I would consider a one way check valve as well somewhere between the "T" and the foot pump.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 14:29   #6

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah

I did a similar thing but was concerned at the possibility of sucking air back into the system. Installed a ball cock in the line which we close if on a long run.
Regards,
Richard.
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooling, engine, engine cooling water, galley, water