Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2013, 12:03   #1

Boat: 45' Horstman TriStar
I have the opportunity to purchase a much needed new prop for $100. The pitch, diameter and bore are all the same but it's a lefthand prop and my boat is set up for a right hand prop. Can I just switch my forward and reverse cables and essentially run in reverse or would there be other mechanical concerns I'm not aware of? My motor is a 27 HP Isuzu Pisces on a sailboat. I'm not sure of the type of transmission.
Triple Helix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2013, 12:05   #2

Boat: 45' Horstman TriStar
My other option would be to stay RH with a 20" diameter prop with the same pitch up from the original 16". The costs for both options are about the same as I've found good a used one.
Triple Helix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2013, 14:23   #3

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Switching RH Prop For LH prop

It will all depend on your transmission - it makes little difference to the engine. You will need the same gear ratio and assurances that the thrust bearings, lubrication, etc are OK for prolonged reverse operation.

If you have a saildrive, most of them are OK running either way.

As for increasing the diameter 4" and keeping the pitch - unless you have the clearance and were significantly underpropped with the old prop, you will probably have trouble with that one.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2013, 14:23   #4

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36

You likely have a mechanical gearbox (ZF, TMC, Newage, PRM) and you cannot change RH to LH. This is because in reverse the main and layshaft are connected by a spur gear that is very small and cannot handle the continious duty. If run this way for long it will fail.

What gear box do you have?

There are prop calculators online. Just plung in the HP , Waterline, Max RPM etc and get the proper info before wasting your money.

Most small diesels rotate Counter clockwise or left hand (Looking at the flywheel end). The gearbox input is LH but the gear reduction changes this to RH.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2013, 15:31   #5

Boat: Seafarer36c

The Paragon trans in our boat was burned up back in the day running from VA to the Bahamas in reverse because of bad info, so I would be careful. There are good deals on props all over. Even if you could run it backwards, you would be wearing in new wear patterns on the gears and probably shorten it's life.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote