Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2011, 09:24   #16

Re: Switched-Out My Fuel-Filtering Design

Racors are good and proven. However, if they were designed for boats I wish theyd redesign them!
*The finish deteriorates fast and they become powdery white corrosion pretty easy. Maybe this is from painting the aluminum chassis and having brass componants as well.
*The plastic bowl drain strips readily and drips on some units. A little brass valve would be nice here.
*You have to disassemble the whole thing to really get the gunk out of the bowl.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 15:21   #17

Boat: 1980 CheoyLee35

I agree that there are more than a few problems with the Racor unit. I replaced my old 500 with a new one because it was more cost effective than replacing all the leaking, stripped parts. Also the bracket was a rusty hunk of steel and, as you say, the paint had peeled off the body as well. I like how it works but it is a huge price for a suspect construction. A non-ferrous filter head from the Caterpillar truck shop was under 30 bucks and water separating filters the size of a quart of milk are $12. It works too.
Shoalcove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 16:15   #18
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Consider bag filters

Though I have not tried this in a marine application, we have used these on 3 boilers consuming about 200-500 gpd each of a diesel fuel/jet A mix. 100% of the fuel is recovered from tank-pulls and other waste sources, so it is NOT clean fuel.

First, we have large tanks, and the fuel settles for a few days. Water is removed, but there is always some heel, perhaps 12 inches, in the tank. We do not have algae problems as the jet fuel is biocide treated (Biobor JF).

The filters are these:
McMaster-Carr
5162K72 or 5162K82
The plain polyester bags work best at $3.40 each.

The housings aren't cheap, but they last. Some are over 40 years old, and none show any real signs of wear. We have dozens and have never broken one. There is a replacable o-ring and no other close-clearance or delicate parts. They are built for being treated badly in chemical plants.
McMaster-Carr
6870K59

These recirculate the fuel, through a 24-hour day tank, in effect polishing the fuel.

These are the primaries; they are backed up with conventional filters (Raycor) that have very long filter lives, as a result.

Just an idea.
Old 19-10-2011, 16:24   #19

Boat: Egg Harbor sedan cruiser 1970

just some more info on possibilities

3 micron with 1-14 threads and drain valve

Wix 33005 & Napa 3005 Fuel Filter: FleetFilter Secure Online Store

2 micron with 1-14 threads no drain valve
Wix 33528 & Napa 3528 Fuel Filter: FleetFilter Secure Online Store

I have looked and not found a 1-12 thread 2 micron filter with drain valve.
curious, does it exist?
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel