Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2016, 01:56   #1

Subaru Boxer Diesel conversion to Marine Use anyone done it

J have been looking at converting a Subaru Boxer Diesel.
Has anyone done it?
Barney21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 03:56   #2

Boat: KH 49x, Custom
Re: Subaru Boxer Diesel conversion to Marine Use anyone done it

I have not done this conversion, but I see that it has been done (Google).

I am presently converting two VW TDI engines for marine use. The difference is that I have purchased conversion kits from Pathfinder, and have parts availability from VW's "marine" division.

Don't let the naysayers talk you out of it.

Also, keep the limiting speed governor. Some folks on this forum seem to think that a marine engine uses a variable speed governor, which isn't the case.

Get your cooling system sorted. Get a belhousing to fit, and figure out the electronics for the injection system. I'm assuming it's a common rail diesel, or at least electronically controlled. If not, things are much easier.

I look forward to hearing about your solutions to this conversion. It's a fairly compact engine, though quite a bit wider than most, which may cause issues in a smaller monohull installation.

A good place to start reading might be here: http://www.xcceleration.com/marine.html

They do Gas engines, but the conversion would be similar, and some of the parts may be interchangeable.

Good luck.

Paul.
GRIT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, marine