Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2020, 06:29   #16

Boat: Hinterhoeller Niagara 35
Re: Stringer repair under Diesel Engine

I hope you will take the advice urging caution from several of the replies here, especially those that mention hidden structural damage. Most importantly: There is a undiscovered reason that you are feeling a vibration under power. Something is bent. Something is flexing. These are serious issues.

Problems of this sort are always worse than one's hopes. You do not want to be on the receiving end of an ongoing revelation of more problems after you have bought the boat.

It seems from your original questions that the boat is still in the water. You should insist, at the current owner's expense, that the boat be hauled to carefully inspect for damage to the keel, rigging, and hull structure If he refuses, that's all you need to know. He's looking for a buyer who is in love with the idea of sailing, not the reality of the costs. Take your money and run.
Boatwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2020, 08:00   #17
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatwright View Post
I hope you will take the advice urging caution from several of the replies here, especially those that mention hidden structural damage. Most importantly: There is a undiscovered reason that you are feeling a vibration under power. Something is bent. Something is flexing. These are serious issues.

Problems of this sort are always worse than one's hopes. You do not want to be on the receiving end of an ongoing revelation of more problems after you have bought the boat.

It seems from your original questions that the boat is still in the water. You should insist, at the current owner's expense, that the boat be hauled to carefully inspect for damage to the keel, rigging, and hull structure If he refuses, that's all you need to know. He's looking for a buyer who is in love with the idea of sailing, not the reality of the costs. Take your money and run.
OMG!

This could be a totally non-issue.

Or it could be very serious.

We don't and can't know.

Too little information.

How deep is the crack?

Gelcoat surface? May be only a minor issue.

Through laminate due to excess flexure. Bigger issue.

Is there moisture ingress to a wood core. Bigger issue.

Is there rotted core. Biggest issue.

RE: Vibration

Many engines will suffer from harmonic vibration at specific RPMs.

How severe is it?

Slight vibration noticed at specific RPM. May be no issue.

Heavy vibration at specific RPM. May be a minor issue.

Engine is trying to jump off the mounts. May be a bigger issue.

This could be a US$250K boat.

First of all, who did the survey?

Always hire a a proper SAMs or NAMs certified surveyor if you are truly serious about the boat.

The number of "THE SKY IS FALLING" responses are ridiculous.

If you "RUN AWAY" from every boat that has any issues, you will never buy a boat.

Every boat, even brand new ones, have issues.

If you like the boat, think it is a good deal, and want to own it, call in the proper "qualified and certified" surveyors.

That simple.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2020, 13:23   #18

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

So here is the end of the story.
First, a full and complete survey including haulout and sea trial was done. Surveyor (fully accredited by NAMS) even went up the mast.

After lots of consultation from here and elsewhere I am rejecting the boat and moving on. I am 90% sure this damage was from the lightnining strike that hit the boat last year. Thank you all for oyu opinions. Just what I asked for.
And now the search continues...
GreenWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2020, 12:46   #19
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
So here is the end of the story.
First, a full and complete survey including haulout and sea trial was done. Surveyor (fully accredited by NAMS) even went up the mast.

After lots of consultation from here and elsewhere I am rejecting the boat and moving on. I am 90% sure this damage was from the lightnining strike that hit the boat last year. Thank you all for oyu opinions. Just what I asked for.
And now the search continues...
Just out of curiosity, what did the NAMs surveyor say about the crack and the vibration?
Old 30-01-2020, 18:13   #20

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinrod View Post
Just out of curiosity, what did the NAMs surveyor say about the crack and the vibration?
Shaft was straight as best as could be determined. Since we didn’t have complete visibility under the engine the surveyor suggested it be pulled and inspected by a structural expert. Since that’s as going to cost a lot I bailed.

I think the engine vibration game from the fact that the stringer was letting the whole area flex. The engine did NOT flex on the mounts which says the mounts were good.
GreenWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2020, 18:44   #21
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
Shaft was straight as best as could be determined. Since we didn’t have complete visibility under the engine the surveyor suggested it be pulled and inspected by a structural expert. Since that’s as going to cost a lot I bailed.

I think the engine vibration game from the fact that the stringer was letting the whole area flex. The engine did NOT flex on the mounts which says the mounts were good.
Hmmm, pulling the shaft, and replacing if necessary should cost about 1% of sell price, stringer fracture repair, another 1%. I’d be tempted to offer 5% less for the boat and be prepared to pay the experts the 1 to 2% to execute repairs
(if even needed). As I said, all boats have issues; better get used to it.

Tags
diesel, engine