Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2021, 15:16   #16

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Re: Straw fell off oil sucking hose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewgyver View Post
Melt or dissolve???

Unless you're buying your motor oil in a 55 gallon drum, the container is plastic. Oil WON'T dissolve plastic, neither will most other liquids, including acids and most solvents. Some U.S. states and localities have passed laws forcing food vendors to provide paper straws because the plastic straws live forever.
Do you know what type of plastic the straw is made from? Do you know at what temperature that plastic will soften. Do you know that boiling it in oil will not break it down further?

I seriously doubt you people store your oil jugs at engine operating temperatures, so kind of a stupid analogy. You'll notice that most plastic straws say they are not for use with hot liquids.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2021, 15:50   #17

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

Pulled a similar move on an auto tranny. Had success using an endoscope attached to my computer. Had a hook attachment that caught the straw. Drain the oil first or the camera won't see much.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2021, 16:23   #18

Boat: Jarkan 12.5 42 feet

Check with engine manufacturer. Is there a strainer on intake of oil pump? If so probably OK but monitor oil pressure carefully for a while until yuo feel safe.
girdasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2021, 16:38   #19

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

At worst I’d drop the pan before I’d leave it there.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2021, 17:35   #20

Boat: Roberts 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
At worst I’d drop the pan before I’d leave it there.
That would be rather difficult on a boat... albeit the "best" solution.

https://www.timantra.net
hzcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2021, 18:01   #21

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat

Many oil dipstick tubes can be removed from the block/pan from outside the engine. If so, you would have a larger hole closer to the oil to use to fish around in it.

As others have said kind of think it probably is not a killer deal. Only thing I would think could be a problem is if it get sucked against the intake for the oil pump If it did that probably not very pleasant.
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2021, 18:44   #22

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

If it's a standard length drinking straw, chances are good that it's still in the dipstick tube. If you can advise the exact model engine we can check it out. If it is, a 1/16 tig welding rod with an tiny acute angle hook bent into the end can possibly be used to fish it out.

If you can't get it out, it's extremely unlikely to cause problems, especially if it remains in the d/s tube. If it doesn't, it's still very unlikely to cause problems; most common plastics melt at more than 300 F (except PE); straws are most commonly polypropylene, which melts at about 330F.

If it gets loose in the pan, again it won't matter. It's not large enough to block the oil pickup, which has (or should have) a screen on it, and in the very unlikely case that it somehow got 'ground up' by the rotating machinery in the crankcase, the filter would catch the 'plastic grounds' as they were circulated through.
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2021, 07:18   #23

Boat: Morgan Catalina 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
If it's a standard length drinking straw, chances are good that it's still in the dipstick tube. If you can advise the exact model engine we can check it out. If it is, a 1/16 tig welding rod with an tiny acute angle hook bent into the end can possibly be used to fish it out.

If you can't get it out, it's extremely unlikely to cause problems, especially if it remains in the d/s tube. If it doesn't, it's still very unlikely to cause problems; most common plastics melt at more than 300 F (except PE); straws are most commonly polypropylene, which melts at about 330F.

If it gets loose in the pan, again it won't matter. It's not large enough to block the oil pickup, which has (or should have) a screen on it, and in the very unlikely case that it somehow got 'ground up' by the rotating machinery in the crankcase, the filter would catch the 'plastic grounds' as they were circulated through.
Exactly what I was going to write. This is what I would do. With a lot of patience.
Seriously Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2021, 09:14   #24

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
straws are most commonly polypropylene, which melts at about 330F.
That's the temperature at which it becomes a liquid. The heat distortion temperature is a lot lower than that. As a semi-solid it is more likely to cause problems.

I like your idea for fishing it out of the dip tube
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2021, 13:59   #25

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hello RockinRick,

Agree that removal would be best, but would not worry, because if it gets into machinery, it will be eventually caught in the filter.

However, I think you might want to consider a couple of things:

1) Run the engine a while to thoroughly warm the oil before you go to suck it out.

2) Your hose, get a longer one. If necessary, warm it a little before use, so that it will uncurl enough to get down to where the oil is. Warming also helps the hose you use for syphoning from the jug to the tank.

On Edit: keep an eye on your oil temperature gauge the next time you go out. If your oil doesn't come up to its normal operating temperature, you may have a blockage.

Ann
Old 29-09-2021, 11:24   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinRick View Post
Plastic drinking straw with some blue tape on the end. I actually changed oil three times like this with no problems. Guess I should have retaped a new straw.

Where did the blue tape end up?
SeanPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2021, 11:44   #27
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

we went thru this a while back here with a fellow that dropped a straw in his transmission. eventually spotted it with an endoscope and fished it out. maybe it is stuck in the dipstick tube? other than that it will be ground up by the oil pump or melted and end up in the oil filter? maybe a question for a mechanic.
Old 02-10-2021, 14:40   #28

Boat: 34ft Irwin Citation
Wink Re: Straw fell off oil sucking hose

I took off the dipstick bracket held on by two bolts which gave me more room. After about two hours of poking with my 4 claw reacher grabber, I finally got it out!!! So happy, all good! Thank you everyone for your help and comments!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20211001_130839.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	365.4 KB
ID:	246311   Click image for larger version

Name:	20211001_130819.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	417.3 KB
ID:	246312  

RockinRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 14:56   #29

Glad you were able to get it sorted!
SeanPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 15:50   #30

Boat: Trlåren 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinRick View Post
I took off the dipstick bracket held on by two bolts which gave me more room. After about two hours of poking with my 4 claw reacher grabber, I finally got it out!!! So happy, all good! Thank you everyone for your help and comments!!

Well done! I imagine you couldn't 'feel' the straw so you must've been searching blindly with the grabber. You'd have to have a bit of tenacity to keep that as long as you did. I wouldn't have wanted to have it my pan either and, after two hours efforts, it must've felt great when you pulled it out.
Nord Sal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil