Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2018, 09:15   #16

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Strange Outboard Overheating Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
Since the oil light was on, did you check the oil?
Motored back 5 hours with no oil light coming on, but I'll check it today maybe.

I was tired and it was celebration/beer time when I got the boat back into the slip.

Actually the celebration started maybe 45 minutes to an hour before that when I saw I was going to make it all the way back.
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 10:15   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
quite often tell tale tubes get blocked by salt if not in use this can dissolve once the outboard is run for a bit but sometimes will need a wire pushing up it to clear it
my Yamaha 20hp had a sticking thermostat it’s only cooling was via the tell tale this works fine for tick over but got hot and rough as soon as you turned the power up
discoveryawaits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 04:10   #18

So I started the engine last night after work and gave it a nice salt water flush! It did fine.

It was too windy, rough, and rainy at the dock to mess with hooking up that adapter etc for a fresh water flush. Plus the boat is in bow too as usual

Guess I'll just keep testing a bit more...…..

Thanks for all the input.
Old 12-06-2018, 15:21   #19

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

Overheated outboards can happen--usually lack of coolant--which is why I like them air-cooled and small--easy to lift.

Lack of water means a blockage, either in the water intake or in a corroded interior where the varnish has failed in the water galleries around the engine cylinder and head. That happened to me with a Yamaha 3 hp. I failed to notice there was no water coming out of the coolant exit hole. Excrescences of aluminium oxides and hydroxides had blocked the outlet orifice.

The other cause is a damaged impeller caused by some small foreign body damaging the blades of the rubber impeller.

Both require the dismantling of the engine--but fortunately it is not a big job. Download the workshop manual for it--it will tell you all you need to know and give any parts numbers you may require-0-and while you are at it, clean the carburettor and reed valve if necessary.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 16:16   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Banks View Post
Overheated outboards can happen--usually lack of coolant--which is why I like them air-cooled and small--easy to lift.

Lack of water means a blockage, either in the water intake or in a corroded interior where the varnish has failed in the water galleries around the engine cylinder and head. That happened to me with a Yamaha 3 hp. I failed to notice there was no water coming out of the coolant exit hole. Excrescences of aluminium oxides and hydroxides had blocked the outlet orifice.

The other cause is a damaged impeller caused by some small foreign body damaging the blades of the rubber impeller.

Both require the dismantling of the engine--but fortunately it is not a big job. Download the workshop manual for it--it will tell you all you need to know and give any parts numbers you may require-0-and while you are at it, clean the carburettor and reed valve if necessary.
Yeah, I've replaced the impeller 3X times over the past 7 years.

I ran the engine again today for 20 minutes at the dock and it was pumping water and ran fine.

I've had like 8 outboards so it's not a new thing to me. The new thing was that it started to work again a few days after overheating when I did nothing to repair it.

I even sailed in to a spot where my son could bring me tools to repair it. Unfortunately the winds were close to 20 knots at the anchorage so I decided to do the work in the am when the wind were predicted to be 5 knots.

That morning, I decided to start the engine before I took it apart to know for sure it's state and it began to pump water so I motored off anchor after 10 minutes and then motorsailed 5 hours back across the bay to my slip
Old 13-06-2018, 08:32   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Yeah, I've replaced the impeller 3X times over the past 7 years.

I ran the engine again today for 20 minutes at the dock and it was pumping water and ran fine.

I've had like 8 outboards so it's not a new thing to me. The new thing was that it started to work again a few days after overheating when I did nothing to repair it.

I even sailed in to a spot where my son could bring me tools to repair it. Unfortunately the winds were close to 20 knots at the anchorage so I decided to do the work in the am when the wind were predicted to be 5 knots.

That morning, I decided to start the engine before I took it apart to know for sure it's state and it began to pump water so I motored off anchor after 10 minutes and then motorsailed 5 hours back across the bay to my slip
Sounds like you picked up a plastic bag or some grass that temporarily blocked the intake. A little extra wear on the engine but ok for now.
Old 13-06-2018, 08:41   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Sounds like you picked up a plastic bag or some grass that temporarily blocked the intake. A little extra wear on the engine but ok for now.
I hope it was that.

The engine down by the prop was bouncing in and out of the water a lot for two days so it's very possible that cleaned off whatever was blocking the intake.

This engine has taken a bit of a pounding. This is the second time it's over heated. I actually caught it early this time because it hadn't started missing or sounding strange yet like the last time.

Last time I was in traffic in the creek 600 yards from my marina and had to raise sail to avoid hitting docked boats or Navy Landing Craft.

I anchored for a while and got a tow to the T dock. Then let the engine cool some more, removed the cover, started the engine, and put the boat in the slip

Tags
heating, outboard, overheating