Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2021, 13:50   #16

Boat: Pearson 10M
Re: Starting a diesel after three years on the hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
When I need to run the engine while on the hard I bring a water hose to the cabin with a bucket, disconnect the intake hose from the raw water thruhull and put it in the bucket while filling the bucket from water hose. Thus the raw water pump never runs dry.
Yes, this! You also may want to make sure that the hose that leads to the raw water pump is primed. You can use a hose for that as long as the engine is not started. Do not connect a pressurized water source to the raw water pump!
sagablu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2021, 14:27   #17

Boat: Watkins 27 - 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
When I need to run the engine while on the hard I bring a water hose to the cabin with a bucket, disconnect the intake hose from the raw water thruhull and put it in the bucket while filling the bucket from water hose. Thus the raw water pump never runs dry.
I take it a step further. I install a tee and valves in the intake line. That way I can shut off the raw water intake (yes, I could do it at the hull-valve, but having all the valves in one spot makes it convenient) open the valve off the side of the tee, and draw water or antifreeze in from that point. Makes winterizing the engine a snap.
garyfdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2021, 14:27   #18

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

Fogging oil wont do squat. Remove the injectors and fill each cylinder with 2 ounces of Marvel Mystery oil. Replace injectors and let sit for five days.
While you wait, drain the fuel tank by pulling it thru the water/fuel filter. Give the old fuel away. Install new filter and gallons of new clean fuel.
After five days, toss some more MMO in each cylinder and wait two days.

After two days, remove injectors and bump the starter. If the motor turns, add more MMO and wait another two days. Repeat - remove injectors bump starter - try once a day for two days. Goal is to ensure rings are not frozen to cylinder wall or to piston.

Then remove injectors and run starter for 30second, let rest 2 minutes, run starter 30 seconds. Repeat several times. This will blow out all the MMO. Now reconnect injectors and introduce fuel to system. Get your mechanic to hook up cooling water to water pump and try starting her!
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2021, 14:30   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlheintz View Post
You need to put fogging oil in each cylinder ... just carefully remove the injectors and spray some in, then replace the injectors. Let it sit for a day. That will ensure that there is enough lubrication to avoid a piston freeze.
? Can’t get mine out without removing fuel HP lines. A puller required for the injectors. All new injector crushable metal seals. These are not remotely similar to spark plugs. This is expensive and risky.

Crank a bit by hand to make sure there is nothing frozen solid. Pull fuel shut off and then crank with the starter for oil pressure.

Ours had not run for three years. Started instantly.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2021, 14:45   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
? Can’t get mine out without removing fuel HP lines. A puller required for the injectors. All new injector crushable metal seals. These are not remotely similar to spark plugs. This is expensive and risky.
Yes, you have to disconnect the fuel lines. I don't know what engine you have but on my Yanmar 2GM it was easier and took less time to remove the injectors than it did to get the exhaust hose off.

As to expensive? Again $ might be engine specific but the copper seals were only a couple bucks a piece.
Old 28-06-2021, 14:55   #21

Boat: 1998 Rosborough 246 LSV

The 2GM has a decompression lever for each cylinder. It prevents the exhaust valve from closing.

You are due for an impeller change on your water pump because of the age - just do it, saves doing it under way after an hour or so.

The mechanical fuel pump has a lever on the side to prime the fuel system. 4 or 5 pushes should be enough to make the lever firm - if it doesn't become firm, your fuel pump diaphragm may have dried out - don't crank until you check or raw diesel may flow into the crankcase. Cheap to replace if done before problem occurs.

Check your water pump belt - they dry out and crack if left unused. Unlikely, but worth a check. If you can turn the pump pulley without turning the engine, you need a new belt.

Most likely your cranking battery is in battery heaven. Cheaper to replace at Walmart for $89 than be stranded someplace. I would do this if the battery is 2 or more years old under normal circumstances.

If the oil is black and not milky, leave it alone until you have run for about an hour. If it is milkey, think head gasket.

Where are you located?
captstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2021, 15:10   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by captstu View Post
The 2GM has a decompression lever for each cylinder. It prevents the exhaust valve from closing.

You are due for an impeller change on your water pump because of the age - just do it, saves doing it under way after an hour or so.

The mechanical fuel pump has a lever on the side to prime the fuel system. 4 or 5 pushes should be enough to make the lever firm - if it doesn't become firm, your fuel pump diaphragm may have dried out - don't crank until you check or raw diesel may flow into the crankcase. Cheap to replace if done before problem occurs.

Check your water pump belt - they dry out and crack if left unused. Unlikely, but worth a check. If you can turn the pump pulley without turning the engine, you need a new belt.

Most likely your cranking battery is in battery heaven. Cheaper to replace at Walmart for $89 than be stranded someplace. I would do this if the battery is 2 or more years old under normal circumstances.

If the oil is black and not milky, leave it alone until you have run for about an hour. If it is milkey, think head gasket.

Where are you located?
Old 28-06-2021, 15:15   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CHB/MT D/C Trawler, 34'

Oil change YES but you can start it, warm it up, and then change it. Changing cold oil ensures that none of the sediments in the sump get sucked out. If you have major OCD change it, run it, change it again.

Impeller YES YES YES if the vanes are in a bent position for too long they can snap. Remove the impeller if it stays "scrunched" replace it.

If the engine turns over freely just start it.

I let a Lehman 120 sit five years it fired up on the first try...
Moosemiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2021, 16:55   #24

All good ideas upthread and you have about the easiest engine to work with. Decompression levers help a lot so before you do anything else, get a socket and bar then rotate the engine manually to find out if you have any tight sectors then release the decompression levers and roll it over again to get a feel for the compression.... it might not be much and it’s fairly common to get a stuck valve, usually exhaust from the humidity in the connection between the waterlock and the exhaust manifold.
Injector pumps have a nasty habit of getting stuck plungers, just one will lock up the rack and since many pumps go to full fuel position after the stop is released at shutdown you can get an uncontrollable overspeed or more happily a no start. To find out if all is well with the pump undo the injector pipes at the pump and rotate the engine until you see little spurts of fuel from the delivery valve holders...... THEN pull the stop to shutdown and rotate the engine again. If no fuel spurts are seen it means that the plungers can rotate and the shutdown is working. This is a very important step with larger engines because they can run away with startling speed.
Your 2GM should get oil up fairly quickly just on the starter with decompression but after 3 years of just sitting , a large engine needs to have a lube oil line attached and the system pressurized with oil to say 20-30psi rather than cranking cold on dry bearings and cam followers.
Finally, don’t overcrank the engine with the raw water intake open.
Good luck.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2021, 16:57   #25

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingfin View Post
Fogging oil wont do squat. Remove the injectors and fill each cylinder with 2 ounces of Marvel Mystery oil. Replace injectors and let sit for five days.
While you wait, drain the fuel tank by pulling it thru the water/fuel filter. Give the old fuel away. Install new filter and gallons of new clean fuel.
After five days, toss some more MMO in each cylinder and wait two days.

After two days, remove injectors and bump the starter. If the motor turns, add more MMO and wait another two days. Repeat - remove injectors bump starter - try once a day for two days. Goal is to ensure rings are not frozen to cylinder wall or to piston.

Then remove injectors and run starter for 30second, let rest 2 minutes, run starter 30 seconds. Repeat several times. This will blow out all the MMO. Now reconnect injectors and introduce fuel to system. Get your mechanic to hook up cooling water to water pump and try starting her!
There is definitely no need to do this or fog at this point, I would be very surprised if the engine is seized. There are dozens of videos on YouTube showing guys starting diesels that have sat for up to twenty years. Diesels are very robust machines. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it !
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2021, 17:07   #26

Boat: Cheoy lee perry 48

For a quick turn over ,not a long run remove the s w pump impeller and leave it out until you require s w cooling .⛵️⚓️👍
Searles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2021, 17:28   #27

Boat: Hunter 46

nestorph........with all the guidance from just starting the engine (post#13) to doing a complete service before you start the engine..........what is your plan?
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2021, 17:29   #28

Boat: Columbia 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyfdl View Post
While I am debating with C420sailor in another thread, he is spot on here.

If you want a little additional 'insurance', change out the water pump impeller regardless. That way you know it's OK.
An impeller sitting in it's pump for a couple years will "take a set", the vanes will be permanently bent over with the ones against the cam bent more. Won't pump as well that way if at all. So change it. I always remove my impellers for winter lay up so they don't do that. Just before launch I test run the engine for a couple minutes then put impeller back in.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2021, 18:29   #29

Boat: Taswell 43

Following. Our Yanmar 4JH-TE has been sitting for over a year now, due to Covid. We won't return to Puerto Rico, where the boat is on the hard until Nov...it will then be 18 months+ since it's run. We too installed a "T" and a 90* valve on the cooling water inlet line, so we can shut off the seawater inlet, connect a bucket and hoce to the valve, and supply fresh water for running on the hard. Based on comments here I'll rewater that line before we resplash to ensure the impeller won't run dry. And I like the idea of turning it over with a socket and "long" breaker bar(we do not have any unloading valve) before we try to start her up.
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2021, 20:24   #30

Hi sailcrazy , you have a turbo so it’s worthwhile to take off the air “filter” and spin the compressor wheel with the tip of your finger.... no tools allowed. If it it’s stuck or makes a scratching sound when you turn it then there is corrosion between the turbine wheel and the cast iron housing where the exhaust mixer elbow bolts on.
If it’s stuck, it can be fixed but its a “turbo off” job and a bit of work with a polishing tool .....or a new turbo scroll.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, on the hard