Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2018, 17:08   #1

Boat: hunter 376
sqealing noise

After a haulout, which was the flood and drain platform type, our new-to-us Hunter 376 immediately developed a kind of sqealing noise. The yard people had a really difficult time getting the boat leveled and resting on the wing keel with a sling along the stern to keep it from rocking back, and it took them over 2 hours and about five tries to get the boat up and sitting on the keel when the water was pumped out. When we splashed, the noise began immediately, and begins at just above idle, and stops above about 1800 rpm. We have asked all kinds of people what it might be, and have been offered many different answers, but to no avail. We had the impeller replaced, and had the stuffing box repacked, still it continues. Oddly, it doesn't change pitch with changes in rpm, and, notably, we can hear it when the prop is freewheeling under sail, at about 7 knots or so, thus eliminating the engine as a source. There doesn't seem to be any more vibration than normal, and a recent survey indicated the cutlass bearing was in good condition. I did replace the two zincs on the shaft during the haulout, but I'm sure(ish) that they were tight. Stanger still, I have been unable to elicit the noise while running the boat in gear while tied firmly to the dock, but the noise sometimes takes a few seconds to appear. Unless someone can explain this, my next step is to have a mechanic aboard and take him(or her) for a spin. Any suggestions?
Vexed in Vancouver
shorebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 18:02   #2
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
Re: sqealing noise

Did you have prop speed or similar applied to the shaft and prop?
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 18:40   #3

Boat: a sailing boat

At times a new cutless bearing makes such a noise before it sets in.

Have you head any cutless bearing replaced?

Another place is the shaft seal. I have seen both PSS gland and volvo boot making such high pitched noise. We saved the volvo one but the pss burnt itself out and floded the boat (somewhat).

The pss problem is it went dry and did not get water once back in the water (bubbles in the water tube, etc.)

Check your shaft seals then, maybe. Just in case.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 19:01   #4

you say it squeals with the engine off, but the shaft freewheeling, so therefore its not the engine.
Does it stop when you stop the shaft from freewheeling (ie, put it in gear when sailing with the engine off)?? If so, it must be the shaft turning that is causing the noise. Could be the gearbox, the pss, the cutlass bearing or the shaft itself rubbing on something. If it still squeals when you stop the shaft from freewheeling and the engine is off, then must be some unrelated source, such as bilge blower pump, hot water pump etc.
osprey877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 00:05   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 00:28   #6

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II

If it is there when the shaft is turning but not when locked then it's the cutless bearing. We had this on some patrol boats, particularly when the shafts are trailing. We tracked it down to the yard using Swarfega hand cleaner to lubricate the bearing to ease inserting the shafts, something they had done for years without problems but clearly something had changed in the gunk.
The good news is that it will go away eventually!
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 00:35   #7

Boat: Island Packet 40

If it's doing it both when the shaft is rotating under power and when the shaft is free wheeling it is almost the prop shaft seal. If it's a PSS or one of the other packerless systems they need to have water for lubrication. When the boat is out of the water the stern tube drains out and because it slopes down towards the stern it forms an air lock when the boat is put back in the water.

My PSS had a small plug in the seal holder which could be removed to allow the air out. I installed an air bleed line using clear plastic tube and ran it up beside the companionway so that I could see the water level in it. I seem to recall that PSS recommended a water feed system be installed on power boat where the speed through the water would be sufficient to suck the stern tube dry.

Anyway the packerless systems which use a seal pressed against a ring on the shaft must have water for cooling and lubrication otherwise they may sqeal and overheat.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 09:10   #8

Thanks for the input. I think it is significant that the noise occurred IMMEDIATLY following a haulout, never before. The boat was out of the water for only 12 hours or so. I did replace the packing in the stuffing box, but long after the noise began, and it had no effect. Also, the fact there is no change in pitch of the noise with changes in rpm seems odd as well. I'm now wondering if its boat speed causing the noise, since I cant seem to elicit the noise with the boat tied to the dock. I may have to dive to check the 3 zincs I replaced. Maybe the knotmeter wheel?
Old 12-08-2018, 12:11   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

If you trace it to the cutlass, try reaming out the grooves in the cutlass liner. I use a SS bicycle spoke before any transit. This is good practice anyway to keep growth from disrupting water flow in the bearing. Your shaft will thank you.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2018, 10:59   #10

So, after an entire summer with squealing noise, I'm revisiting this problem. We cruised under power a lot, but mostly at an rpm that didn't cause the noise. It occurs just above idle, and stops at about 1800. I tried again to elicit the noise while tied firmly to the dock and ran, in gear, at the same rpms and nary a peep, even though underway, the noise is present 100% of the time at those same rpms. With winter approaching, we may gain some insight during a spring haulout, but for now, the mystery remains.
Old 21-10-2018, 15:24   #11

Boat: Hylas 54

You never answered the most obvious question: Does the squeal stop when you stop the shaft from freewheeling (ie, put it in gear when sailing with the engine off)?
jt11791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2018, 11:38   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt11791 View Post
You never answered the most obvious question: Does the squeal stop when you stop the shaft from freewheeling (ie, put it in gear when sailing with the engine off)?
To elicit the noise under sail required us to be essentially surfing down waves and hitting around 7-8 knots. A Yanmar rep advised me to never lock the prop in gear while under sail, so an external lock would have to be used, but as we have now essentially winterized the boat, any more opportunities to do so would be unlikely until next spring. I'm still puzzled that I can cruise under power at about 1500 rpms with the noise going non-stop, but can do 1500 rpms in gear, tied to the dock all day long without a peep. Thanks for the reply.
Old 23-10-2018, 01:53   #13

Singing Prop??
shakey doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2018, 08:25   #14

Boat: Gulfstar 41' ketch

+1 on the singing prop
sailor_ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2018, 09:59   #15

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat

Check out your speedometer if you have paddle wheel type most are. Pull it out and put the plug in and see if squeak is still there. If bearing is shot may make noise when yo turn it fast enough..
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
noise