Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2017, 09:16   #1

Boat: Pearson 30
Question Spring Maintenance for Atomic 4 on Pearson 30

Greetings,

This will be my second season with the Pearson 30-going great so far!

Next weekend forecast for Toledo, OH, is 60 degrees and sunny (Feb 19 !).
So, why not get a head start on some spring prep.
Advice on basic maintenance will be greatly appreciated-just a few basic questions about engine care, and feel free to expand on the answers!:

Oil Change-recommendations for type of pump to use to remove oil

Impeller-any tips on changing? (Has a fair amount of use for past 2 seasons.)

Points and plugs-probably at least two years old. The engine starts immediately and idles smoothly.

I'll be doing more maintenance, of course, as the season approaches. But this short list should be doable over the weekend.
Thanks again!
Sailon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2017, 10:06   #2

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'
Re: Spring Maintenance for Atomic 4 on Pearson 30

For the oil change you could use a commercial electric unit with integrated pail. However, they are a mess and unbalanced without oil in the pail and require a large storage space where oil will eventually end up on the floor or shelf.

I have switched to using an outboard motor fuel line with the in line squeeze bulb. Run the engine to warm the oil and get any impurities into suspension. The oil must be warm to pump through the bulb. Cut the ends off fuel line and slide downstream end over the dip stick orifice. There is an arrow on the bulb to show which way the fluid will move. Then pump the oil into a container by squeezing the bulb. Drain pump assembly when completed and store in plastic bag. Leave onboard as it is handy for pumping fluids to hard to reach places. Also will work as a siphon.

Advice on impeller - change it its simple. Make sure impeller shaft stays lubed with a spring loaded greaser mounted in the lube hole.

Points - switch to solid state ignition. Buy the kit from Moyer Marine online. Comes with plugs. You will thank me for this tip.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance, pearson, pearson 30