Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2013, 18:56   #1

Boat: Custom, Ingrid ketch/cutter, 39.5 LOD
Spinners/Oil Recycling...

anybody using truck spinners on your sailboat aux engine???? do they remove carbon well? i know Alert (CYLT) base was using them with the gensets, but since abandon them because they were still finding carbon. Might be a useful setup on a sailboat though if you had the space... I am very interested in this because of the potential cost/environmental savings, MTBF increase...

Would it even be worth rigging up for a little 4108?
ijiraq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2013, 18:58   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Spinner....? Like a little midget centrifuge run by oil pressure? I've never seen one on a sailboat auxiliary.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2013, 07:14   #3

Boat: Allied 39
Years ago We looked very closely at adding an oil spinner on our old Westerbeke. They are used quite a bit by the long haul truckers that rarely turn their engine off. Also many of the oil rig service boats use them as well. But we found our old Westy didn't have enough oil pressure to spin the rotor fast enough. Folks that I talked with said we needed 40lbs of oil pressure or higher.

I think it makes some sense as it removes any solids in the oil that you can later scrape out into a trash container and toss. Those particles cause wear.

http://www.spinnerii.com/index.cfm/lev1/726/divid/61

The above link is not the brand we looked at but one that can be used to examine the process.

Be interested in hearing from those folks that have them onboard.

Chuck
Old 26-10-2013, 07:20   #4

Boat: Allied 39
Years ago We looked very closely at adding an oil spinner on our old Westerbeke. They are used quite a bit by the long haul truckers that rarely turn their engine off. Also many of the oil rig service boats use them as well. But we found our old Westy didn't have enough oil pressure to spin the rotor fast enough. Folks that I talked with said we needed 40lbs of oil pressure or higher.

I think it makes some sense as it removes any solids in the oil that you can later scrape out into a trash container and toss. Those particles cause wear.

http://www.spinnerii.com/index.cfm/lev1/726/divid/61

The above link is not the brand we looked at but one that can be used to examine the process.

Be interested in hearing from those folks that have them onboard.

Chuck
Old 27-10-2013, 14:53   #5

The 4-108 Perkins has enough pressure to run a conventional truck spinner. I wonder if the debris and carbon removal would offset the added complication to the system in reliability and longevity. It seems to make a difference in big trucks, also is has an environmental benefit, economic benefit (oil changes less often), reduced part wear. My only concern is the higher potential for oil or oil pressure loss, and the changes to lubrication flow due to the pump energy loss through the system on such a tiny engine. I guess it may also be possible to added some sort of booster into the system, but this also adds to the complexity...
Old 30-10-2013, 14:47   #6

Re: Spinners/Oil Recycling...

Your engine is more likely to fail from the lack of oil from some failure of the install than quality of oil save your money and change the oil a few more times in its life span
sartorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 20:08   #7

Quite possibly very true...

Tags
oil