Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2021, 00:51   #1

Sole 34 engine

Hi has anyone replaced the transmission or reburbished the transmission on a Sole 34 mini. I believe its a Sole transmission, not another brand. Also any comments on the engine generally? Thanks
Ianmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2021, 04:51   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Sole 34 engine

I can't help you, Ianmat, but welcome to the forum.
Old 21-04-2021, 06:56   #3

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

This might help:

https://www.solediesel.com/en/sole-d...ntinued-fa0950

The engine, iirc is a Mitsubishi k4D which was reasonably popular in its day with a number of other marine engine builders so worst case scenario is to find a gearbox that will substitute.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2021, 12:41   #4

Thanks yes looking into replacement gearbox as no parts now for 34.The Sole backup and service is very poor. Despite trying none can yet tell me what gearbox will fit. It’s just automated messages from theSole site saying they trust their dealers. But even the local dealer can’t give me any useful information. Shame because the engines seem ok and a good price.
Old 22-04-2021, 15:33   #5

Boat: Swallowed the anchor

I'd be willing to wager that a Technodrive TMC60 would be a direct replacement. Pull up a specification sheet and check for fitment. A TMC40 might also fit but it may be a bit light for the HP.
kenbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2021, 16:27   #6

Yeah, it reckon a TMC40 or 60 has a chance of fitting. Worst case scenario is needing to get the bellhousing modified or adaptor plate made and needing to make sure the engine can be repositioned if either is required
Old 22-04-2021, 19:43   #7

Sole advise they are "working on an option to install a TMC60 but its not ready yet" So maybe there is no adaptor plate available yet. Not sure why Sole would not have it sorted by now?

Incidentally would I get any material advantage from replacing with a Yanmar? From all accounts the Sole is a good engine, and 1/3 cheaper than a Yanmar. Is the Yanmar price difference due to the name or is it a better option and if so why exactly?
Old 22-04-2021, 22:18   #8

I replaced a Sole with a Sole after considering the Yanmar option. It's a good motor and the new models are easy enough to source parts for (the engines are used by Caterpillar and Mahindra in various forms). The Mitsubishi engine is solid, low revving and is very old school which to my mind = simple to maintain and repair. The Yanmar is probably better for resale, so this would possibly cancel out the purchase price difference.

However, for a DIY install, a Yanmar is problematic if replacing a non-Yanmar engine. Firstly, they use their own gearbox flange which has dimensions different from everyone else's so the shaft coupler will also need replacing (which can be an exercise in itself and can require shaft removal for machining the face) and, secondly (iirc), The mounts are lower and closer to the shaft centreline than most other engines - certainly the Sole - which could result in some major engine bed modifications. There's also the fact that Yanmar DIY installs are frowned upon to the point you'll need to include an extra boat buck or two for installation and the spare part prices enjoy a Volvo-esque reputation.

Perhaps the Betamarine range of engines would be more suitable for your case. The Kubota motor used is bullet proof and they can maybe provide a unit to the same mounting specifications as the original Sole as an option and this would allow it to drop right in. The only thing they can't do is provide the same connection locations so you need to check that the location of the gearbox lever, exhaust, fuel lines and general protrusions will work with your engine bay.
Old 22-04-2021, 23:05   #9

Great info thanks. I’ll do a bit more homework.
Old 23-04-2021, 01:48   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianmat View Post
Great info thanks. I’ll do a bit more homework.

Is your fuel lift pump on top of and driven by the gearbox? If so , you need to consider installing an electric lift pump. Solé did a few odd things with their marinisation of that engine......it’s very difficult to get water pump">raw water pump impellers from outside the Solé parts network.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine