Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2017, 13:22   #16

Boat: Sip 32, 9.80 meters
Re: Smoking Volvo Penta MD 11C

A few things to check out for starters:
Re-do the valves as per manual, the air filters (have been cleaned out recently, but you never know), the cold start button (seems to work fine though).
I'll post the results when done.
Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 07:53   #17

Boat: Sip 32, 9.80 meters

Now, I have done the checks including the valves and solved the problem of following the correct procedure, it was the rocking bit I wasn't quite sure about. I also checked the exhaust hose and muffler with the engine warm and smoking away. Just a little warm. The same goes for the cooling water spouting out aft. I let the smoke/steam run over my hand to check the smell - just exhaust smell, not diesel.
Considering the two cylinders seems to run at exactly the same revs when decompressed one at a time (see previous posts) I simply can't see how it can be steam coming out. If it really is diesel smoke (without the smell?) the next step will be the govenor and then the injection pump. One of these two starting to misbehave at
exactly the same time I cleaned out the complete cooling system is just a bit too much of a coincidence, I think?

Perhaps the motor is possesed by by an evil Volvo spirit?
Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 03:08   #18

Boat: Fantasia 35

Sorry to say but I have run out to things to suggest. I don't recommend you pulling the injection pump. It is a tricky beast. It is adjusted by adding or removing thin gaskets. Also, it requires two special tools to do the adjustment. If you do decide to remove it - take pictures of the pump and block so that you can reset the internals and position it exactly how it was when removed.

I wish you the very best of luck resolving your problem...
Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2020, 06:42   #19

Boat: S2 11.0 Aft Cockpit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedersen View Post
Perhaps the motor is possesed by by an evil Volvo spirit?
It really is too bad so many people in forums, never post updates on whether or not they solved the issue, figured out what the problem was, or gave up and bought a new whatever.

For anyone who reads this who has a smoking diesel issue, my first go to would always be to test the injectors by taking them out and using a diesel injector nozzle tester. You can then test the holding and release pressure, as well as the spray pattern. Here's a video that explains this well:

But even before you take the injectors to the test bench, do a pressure balance test of each cylinder, and a leak-down test! It's very rare anyone can simply "see" a mechanical problem by just taking something apart and visually inspecting for obvious cracks and whatnot. The tolerances and clearances are too fine, and will not present themselves visually; e.g. you can't see how worn or out of round your piston rings are, you can't see if an injector's pintle holes are clogged, you can't tell if a spring is worn out by looking at it...so get some instruments and do some tests!
Finally, the other reasons to keep up with injectors on a recreational diesel, especially one that is decades old, is that algae and sludge will likely be in the fuel tank and system, which could make its way to the pump and injectors if maintenance wasn't always done properly. So along with the items covered in the above video, the injectors could be spraying poorly, and washing-down the cylinder and removing the oil film sufficiently for there to be excessive piston/bore wear that could lead to lower compression due to blow-by. One simple way to check this is the leak-down test, another simple way is to loosen the oil filler cap, and see if it puffs (bounces at the firing of a cylinder) when the engine is running; this will indicate worn piston/rings/bore. But my point is that so many problems can be avoided (SMOKE/WEAR/HARD STARTING/LOW POWER/CARBON BUILD-UP) by simply keeping your fuel delivery/injectors in good shape. Check out this and the other videos by MercedesSource https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7K...xoDnqsiuwTn5og on Youtube, he is almost entirely dedicated to diesels.

Tags
penta, volvo