Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2021, 14:03   #1

Smartcraft Shift Fault

I have a 2008 Sea Ray 290 Sundancer with twin 5.0l MPIs/bravo3 drives, DTS easy shift and I had new bellows, gimble bearings and shift cables installed. Now I sometimes get a shift fault on my vessel view screen and a continuous alarm only in reverse. I put it back in neutral and alarm goes off, again this alarm/fault does not happen all the time, usually when I am backing into my boat slip. The boat does not go into guardian mode either, just sounds the alarm. It has me stumped because it doesn't happen all the time and only in reverse. Has anybody had this issue or any suggestions on fix?
fins6969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2021, 06:22   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Smartcraft Shift Fault

Parsimony still suggests the shift cable adjustment. I would particularly suspect that from it happening docking, because human beings tend to shift in that situation while the engine RPMs are still high.

Suggestion: First, make sure that all the attachments to the cable are tight, because slip rather than adjustment could be the problem. Then, disconnect the cable at the engine, shift into forward, N, reverse and note the position of the arm in each case. Reattach the cable, and have someone shift at the helm whille you watch. Did the arm go firmly to the three positions, or is it marginal between N and reverse?

There are lots of other nasty possiblities, but do remove that simple one from consideration before you hemorrhage time, money, and greasy hands.