Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2021, 11:05   #16

Re: Smart glow plugs

Also keep in mind that modern diesel vehicles have MUCH more sophisticated emissions systems than a marine diesel. My BMW X5D has all these systems:
-Diesel Particulate filter, to catch larger particles and soot, It later heats up the exhaust to burn this into ash.
-Diesel Emission Fluid, Urea, injected into the exhaust stream to break down dangerous NOx emissions into harmless nitrogen and water.
-EGR to reburn exhaust
-Intake swirl generator to introduce Vortex swirling
-2 Noise mufflers
-catalytic converter.
-MAF air monitoring for more accurate injection.

Your boat is the equivalent of a 1940's tractor with a (probably) mechanical fuel injection pump and none of the above emissions.

I commend you wanting to improve the situation. A simple 1 minute timer would probably do the job to keep the plugs hot. You should also do a compression/ leak down test and see if maybe your rings are bad.

All else you could do an EV conversion. Getting more popular and easier to do.
jack4566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 11:02   #17

To follow up, I installed new Bosch glow plugs (about 16$CDN each) and this solved problem. Engine starts immediately now, with just a little smoke for the first 20 seconds or so. For those interested, I came across an article by Bosch on their glow plugs and it seems the new ones are quite different than the original ones fitted in the90’s. There are apparently two types. The ones for my engine work on a 12 volt supply and compared to the older designs, they heat up quicker, and then hold there heat longer so there is less smoking. The other type run on 6-7 volts and use a special relay to regulate the voltage depending on conditions etc. I gather these are used in new turbocharged engines and larger truck engines etc.
Anyways, thanks for all info
osprey877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 18:10   #18

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by osprey877 View Post
To follow up, I installed new Bosch glow plugs (about 16$CDN each) and this solved problem. Engine starts immediately now, with just a little smoke for the first 20 seconds or so. For those interested, I came across an article by Bosch on their glow plugs and it seems the new ones are quite different than the original ones fitted in the90’s. There are apparently two types. The ones for my engine work on a 12 volt supply and compared to the older designs, they heat up quicker, and then hold there heat longer so there is less smoking. The other type run on 6-7 volts and use a special relay to regulate the voltage depending on conditions etc. I gather these are used in new turbocharged engines and larger truck engines etc.
Anyways, thanks for all info
The Pathfinder fuel injection pump also includes a cold start lever that changes the injection timing slightly. Look at your manual, and play with this adjustment some to see how it effects cold/low RPM performance.
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plug