Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2021, 19:04   #1

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Sketchy Yanmar 3JH

I am looking on ebay at a recently listed Yanmar 3JH for sale. I want a reality check here. I immediately saw a cracked (multiple) exhaust mixing elbow. On closer examination, at least 3 of the 4 right angle mounting brackets for the motor mounts appear to be bent.
The first thing that came to mind was that a crane perhaps lifted the engine out of the boat while it was on boat stands in a yard and a catastrophic failure happened sending the engine 9.8 meters per second, squared, to the ground.

The seller told me the elbow rotted out and nothing else is wrong.

Here is the link...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/265186846715
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2021, 19:26   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft
Re: Sketchy Yanmar 3JH

I'm not sure the motor mount brackets are bent, maybe its just an optical illusion as mounts are not square to engine. Thats my guess anyway.
Would have thought if exhaust elbow was cracked from dropping it there would be other damage.

Price doesnt seem cheap but I have no idea of US market.
I would want a video of cold start ( verified with laser thermometer ) & it running if you are too far away to check it out.

Sorry my post is not much help.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2021, 20:08   #3

Boat: Jeanneau 41 DS

I too do not know the used value of something like this. The engine mounts and mixing elbow is the least of your problems unless you can have this thing running and a good mechanic can thoroughly check it out. I rather spend more for a better engine than one that is crap shoot and not know what you are getting. Looks like that engine lacked TLC.

IMHO

Abe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7538859_20200729210545409_1_XLARGE.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	240746  
sailingabe41ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2021, 20:19   #4

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch

Wow, those mounts are definitely bent... I can't fathom how that would have happened. The exhaust elbow looks terrible - I'd be worried whatever caused it to rupture may have leaked into the exhaust manifold, but otherwise the engine looks fairly decent. For price comparison - I recently purchased a 2018 4JH4-TE (75hp w/ turbo) with 600 hours on it for $7k. It was a running takeout from a boat in California that had to upgrade to a tier 3 emissions compliant engine. It didn't come with a transmission, tho.
Bellinghamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2021, 21:16   #5

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Thanks everyone. The seller just got back to me a second time and stated that he repairs outboards and received this Yanmar from another engine dealer. I have rebuilt a few engines. My latest was a Westerbeke 46 (Mitsubishi engine). So they don't really scare me that much. Although Yanny parts are expensive.
It's been a bad month for me with marine diesel engines. Two weeks ago I purchased a Beta 38 (Kubota) and had it shipped from Florida to California. I felt I had hit the lottery as they are hard to find. I received a call from the shipping company that their driver was involved in a multi vehicle crash and the trailer was totaled. It's under investigation but that could take weeks since there is currently an investigation.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2021, 21:49   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Actually on 2nd look agree with post #4 the mount is bent & oil filter is a bit crushed & air intake is crushed by the looks of it. Without seeing it running it's a crap shoot as post #3 suggests
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ketch, yanmar